Breastfeeding jealousy?

I nursed my DD until she was 17 months old. I had to go on hormonal BC (pelvic infection...had to have IUD removed) which dried me up, so she was pretty much abruptly weaned. Long story short, we're now expecting in October. She's VERY much attached to me, and when I rock her to sleep, she STILL puts her hand in my shirt for comfort (doesn't feel around or anything...it's just her comfy spot). I'm worried she might become highly jealous when the new baby gets here and see's her nursing. Has anyone experienced any nursing jealousy from siblings before? Is there any way I can make this transition easier for her?

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes, i had the same situation with my middle kid and the baby. i was so worried that he would be jealous bc i weaned him at 12 months and the baby was born when he was 19 months. he was always putting his hand in my shirt, just like you said. i was very plesantly suprised that when the baby came there were no issues with jealousy or anything like that. i think the only thing i did to prepare him was to make up song we used to sing (it was stupid and mostly consisted of the words boobies are for babies lmao). i guess it worked lol bc we didn't have any issues like i was expecting to have
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You can relatch her if you feel like it, and tandem nurse. She may find out she likes chocolate milk and other things better.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my 2 year old is the same way. she weaned right at 2 years old, and now i am very pregnant, and she has been interested again. while i'm nursing the LO, i won't worry about denying my 2 year old. she isn't doing it sexually. they were HER'S for 2 years, until i dried up.... she had been nursing only 2 times a day... not much to keep up with.

gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• maybe try including her in "helping" with little things with the newborn and reward her with "big girl" treats so she still knows she's special
    carolina_mama08

Answer by carolina_mama08 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If she was 17 mo when she weaned and you went on some form of hormonal birth control (it shouldn't have dried you up) and now you are pregnant and add 9 months, she would be 2 or 3 or even older. Children this old are old enough to undestand that babies can't eat food and have to nurse.

Avoid calling her the big girl and the helper. Let her know you are going to take care of her and the baby, that's your job. When others try and call her those things gently correct them. Don't let her hug, kiss, or hold the baby. She may not love that new baby. It can pervent accidents and will cut down on germs. Wear the baby in a sling so you can still do things with her.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Don't want to tandem nurse, eh? :P Does she have a baby doll that she can nurse? Or a special toy that she could maybe have ONLY when you're nursing the baby(okay, so she'll get to play with it every moment for the first 6 weeks...)? Maybe just cuddle her while you nurse the new l/o. That's mostly what my mom did with me.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Gaill - she'll be 2 next month, and the baby is due in October...she'll be 26, almost 27 months when the baby is due. And now that i've gone back and done my math, she was 16 months, not 17. We have an Ergo already that I will use the heck out of. And I don't see how the hormonal birth control WOULDN'T have made me dry up. It's completely contraindicated for nursing moms.

Arisce (lol...am I allowed to use your real name? haha) - I wouldn't mind tandem nursing at all. Would she still remember how to nurse after this long? I notice when she drinks from her sippy, her lips are still pursed, and her tongue goes under the bottom of the spout...is that normal for every kid, or does she still have BFing suckling down?
    milfalicious08

Comment by milfalicious08 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010