How would you include your 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son in on "helping" with the newborn so they do not feel left out?

Multiple children, Newborn, siblings

carolina_mama08

Asked by carolina_mama08 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Funny you ask this as we are dealing with our 4 year old son and 19 month old daughter not feeling left out with our 4 day old son. If you are changing a diaper maybe ask them to help you by handing you a diaper or wipes. If you are bottle feeding maybe let them "help" hold the bottle. Showing them how to burp the new baby may be something else. Basically try to include them in things that they can do as long as you are right there. Good luck to you.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• if newborn is bottlefed, they could help feed him/her, help change diapers, hold new baby and sing them a song, let them pick out the new babies lil outfits, let them pick out a special toy for the new baby, that way they can be proud to say "i picked that one out for the baby".
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i had a 4yo and a 1 1/2 yo when my baby was born. when i was pregnant i let them be very involved in putting the nursery together. they helped me pick out the paint color, curtains and we also made decorations (picture frames and also decorated letters for her name). once she was born they had important jobs. the 4yo could get me the diapers, wipes, a pair of pj's or a onesie, etc. the 1 1/2 yo had the special job of throwing away diapers lol. believe it or not he loved it. i also made sure to let them entertain her sometimes or give her kisses or pet her hair (yes, like a cat lol but they loved it). make sure to spend 1 on 1 time with each of the kids (i do that at bedtime everyday) and they will be fine. i didn't have any behavior issues or jealousy..... gl and congrats!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My 2 year old son likes to grab me a diaper when I'm going to change his sister. He also loves when I set her in his lap. =) I let him pick out her very 1st bottle as well.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Lol. Princessbeth79, my son loves throwing away the diapers, too.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Bring the diapers, help hand you the wipes, throw away the dirty diaper. Pick out the outfit for the day. If you are going out, double check that every thing is in the diaper bag. Help pushing strollers. Help put things away since the baby is "too young". Think about things that you do and have them help.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• this is what we did with our older girls who were 9 and 6 when our youngest was born.
    They helped us pick out baby clothes when shopping.
    They picked out bottles,and the little extras.
    Right before the birth i enrolled them each in their own big sister class,they got a diploma,bookand big sister pillow from that.
    when the baby was born, I gave them each a big sister gift.
    and to help me with the baby, i had each one help pick out what the baby would wear that day,they would help me gather the things i needed when nursing, and my oldest would often help me by sitting next to the baby in her bouncer while i showered.I would bring the bouncer in the bathroom with me so i could get to her quickly if the need arose but my 9 yr old was sitting beside her so that she didnt fuss too much.
    and this probably sounds corny or lame, but ask them what they want to do to help.
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't think you should. I don't think sibs should be called big brother and big sister and told they are going to be the helpers. I think they should be told that you will take care of all of them because that is your job and not to worry. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. They shouldn' hold the baby and be forced to kiss it and say they love it. They shouldn't hold or kiss the baby at all. It will cut down on germs and if they aren't allowed to touch the baby it can cut down on accidents and the sibs hurting the baby when mom isn't looking.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• OMG!! Get over it. My kids helped a ton. They get diapers, they fed the baby, my 8 and 5 y/os even change her diaper because they asked to. They held the baby and kissed her and told her they loved her. They know it is my job to care for and love all of them and by seeing how I love them, they pass that love onto their younger siblings. Amazingly enough my children actually like each other and hardly fight. I think a PP is having an anti-Duggar moment...ignore.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010