My son is going to be 4 in January should I feel bad when he cries about me making him sleep without a binki??

He only really has it at night, but we have decided to take it away for good, I cut the nipples off of it and we threw it away together my son and I, but he still cries so hard for it. Should I feel bad

CRJL07

Asked by CRJL07 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Awww, maybe replace it with a cuddly toy or something special to him. It will be Ok mama
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• it's hard to see your baby upset, because no matter what age they are always your baby :) i wouldn't worry too much, reward him for being a "big boy" and maybe let him pick out a new toy/stuffed animal to replace his binki.
    carolina_mama08

Answer by carolina_mama08 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Of course you'll feel bad. But you have to do it. He will probably only cry for it for a week or so. Just be strong and don't go back!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I had a friend who let her girls use it at bedtime until they just naturally gave it up. BUT I also saw on Supernanny a technique to help an older child give it up. I tried to post the technique here, but it was too many words. I went to Supernanny.com, searched in the upper right hand corner for pacifier and many choices came up. About 5 or 6 on the list was the Paci-fairy technique. Maybe this is worth trying? Good luck.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You're definately going to feel bad about it! You're mamma! but it still has to go... He is a big boy now and it's time. GL I hope both of you the best...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree let him get a new animal to sleep with or something you could take him to build a bear and stuff the bear with the binki too (i bet there is still some around the house) lol that way he is still sleeping with it just not sucking on it
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• oh no! dont feel bad! i refused to give my almost three old a sippy cup because i knew he could take a regualr cup. He will be fine! take a couple of tylenol
    silverdawn99

Answer by silverdawn99 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• He will get over it soon. You will see.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2010