Do you have a pool?

I am wondering about pool upkeep. Do you have a pool and if so, do you clean it or do you have a service that cleans it for you? If you do the cleaning yourself, how much work is it?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes, we have an in-ground pool, and I take care of the maintenance on it--because one of my many jobs I had before becoming a mom was as an Aquatic Director and Health Club Manager! So I know all about proper chemical balancing, cleaning, filtration, vacuuming and how all of the other equipment works, parts that are needed, etc. My husband thinks it's cool that I can "talk shop" when we go to the pool supply store! LOL

Maintenance is not hard at all, but you HAVE to stay on top of things, use the correct chemicals and in the proper balance, and make sure you winterize it correctly! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We have an large 25X50 foot inground pool and the up keep is minimal. We have a "Polaris" Pool cleaner. It attaches inside the pool and works like a vacuum and moves around the bottom and sides by itself to suck up any debris. I usually leave it in the pool unless we are having company and detach it. It has a bag that you just open and clean out the debris when it looks full. You just have to open the skimmers (where the surface debris gets pushed into on the side of the pool) and empty those baskets when they have debris. Besides that, just make sure that you have chlorine in the automatic chlorinator and that's it. We have a Company come in the fall to blow the water out of all the lines and winterize & cover the pool for the winter. That costs about $300. That's it. My DH removes the cover in the spring with some of his buddies & hooks up all the pump connections himself. Otherwise it would be another $300 to open it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We have a pool and decided to have a service because my grandson has exzema and we wanted the water to be as good as it can be for his skin. We picked a service with a good rep that comes every week rather than every two.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• we have a above ground pool, me and dh vacuum every often. and use the skimmer a lot. about once a month it gets shock. but mostly we keep a eye on the levels in it and treat it accordingly

really it's not much upkeep. but that maybe different if you have a in ground pool
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We have an above ground pool that we have had a few years. Last year I just gave up on it. It rained constantly the weather was cool and we have a lot of tree's so it was impossible to keep the water clear. This year the frogs were killing us as for trying to keep the water clean. I got tired of spending hundreds of dollars in chemicals a month so we bought a saltwater system. Every since we bought the saltwater system the pool has been a dream. I rake the leaves out in the morning and afternoon (this is therapy for me) and test the water every couple of days. The water is so soft, I highly recommend to anybody who has a pool or is getting one to get a saltwater system.
    It has been worth every penny and minute out of our day. The kids love it and my Husband and I both enjoy getting in there and playing with the kids.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We have an in-ground pool and it has been surprisingly way less work than we thought it would be. We don't have any trees around us, so we don't have a lot of cleaning to do. My husband does the chemicals and I would say he spends about 10 minutes a week on it. The only problem that we sometimes have is frogs and snakes get caught in the skimmer, but that's my husband's problem, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We have a pool. It's not that hard to take care of. I test it every other day and add chemicals as needed. Hubby vacuums it once a week. Takes him about 45 mins. We have a 24 ft round 4 ft deep above ground pool.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 3:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We clean ours ourselves, but it's a pain because our neighbors that live behind us have a tree that drops leaves in it CONSTANTLY!!! It's an uphill battle trying to keep it clean.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We own a party pool and my dh is the one who maintains it he really does a good job Like right now it is crystal clear but like during the winter it can turn muggy green it looks really gross but with all the chemical he puts in it (closer to summer) you would never think it was that dirty.Now the only thing that I notice my dh doing and is time consuming is vacuuming out the bottom of the pool and taking all out what falls in the pool. To help it look beautiful, Chemicals every week to keep the water nice and clear. It cost about $150.00 (plus or minus) depending on the size of your pool. Oh our price includes electricity too. Hope this info helped. GL Have a great SUMMER!!!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Oh, I forgot, We just bring a sample of the pool water to the pool store to have it tested about once a month or so just to make sure the PH and other levels are correct. We test it at home too with a little test kit.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010