Am I being overly cautious?

The apartment complex we live in has a pool that has a lifeguard on duty. My daughter wants me to take her and her friend to the pool. I cannot swim, seriously I can't even float. My 11 year old daughter cannot swim. As for her friend, I don't know if she can swim or not. I am not comfortable taking either of my children to the pool let alone someone else's. Am I being silly? I just think that the lifeguard has to watch the whole pool and its too much of a risk. Especially with someone else's daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• do they have a shallow side or wading pool? just make them stay in the shallow water
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• no your just being a mother. why not ask the other girls mother to go along to.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Stay in the shallow part for sure.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• That's what a lifeguard is for... I think it should be fine. I would ask the other childs parent b4 taking her though.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree, if they have a shallow end that would be fun for them. I would seriously look into getting you and your DD into swimming lessons, they can save your life.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• NO, I don't think your being silly at all. I would worry too if I couldnt swim. As long as there is a lifeguard and you keep a good eye on them and maybe even ask them to stay in the shallow end...everything should be fine. Wish we had a pool here,lol. Have fun!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Take swimming lessons. It sim simply dangerous NOT to know how to swim.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would go and make sure the rules were clear that everyone would stay in the shallow part, water should not go above the breast. They have a life guard, Iwould be ok with it. I would also invest in swim lessons for you and you rdaughter.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Talk with the other parent. You can still watch them and if for some reason they get in trouble, tell the life gaurd. Or they can just stay in the shallow end.

Another idea, ask the lifegaurd if they give lessons... it never hurts to ask and they may even give you some pointers.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 3:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• really it's not hard for them to watch a whole pool. but stay in the sallow end anyways, if you feel more comfortable there.

it's not overly protective, it's called being a good mother. Good mother's always worry.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010