Potty Training Techniques?

Okay...I've been meaning to read a book on Potty Training for some time now and well...I just don't seem to have the time. I could use Cliff's Notes here. Techniques, tips? I have a potty. I ask her if she wants to go. She peed in it once a few months ago when we bought it (she is 26 mo.) and hasn't been interested since. She sits on it occasionally but that's about it. Do I just stop putting diapers on her and hope that she decides the potty is better than going down her legs? Help.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if she is showing signs that she is ready, get her out of diapers! they are absorbing everything so it's harder to know what the feeling of going is. let her pick some underwear at a store, and have her wear them all day. expect accidents (never scold for accidents), but they will help her put 2 and 2 together that she just went pee/poo and soon she'll tell you (if she doesnt already) that she went. even if it isnt verbal, she'll let you know. Escort her to the potty upon waking, after meals/drinks (offer a lot of water throughout the day), before and after naps, before you leave the house and while you are out, before bedtime and randomly throughout the day. if you see cues or if she tell If she goes, reward and praise her! Also show by example. whenever you have to go, take her with you and narrate what you are doing in simple terms. Buy a potty dvd and board book!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• For my son, once I knew he showed all the signs, I took away any diapers and pull-ups, I took him every 30 minutes and had him try to potty. We did this until it was routine and he was comfy, then, i upped the time to 45 minutes. I repeated this by upping 15minutes every time he was routine. By about 4 days, he was completely trained.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i m clueless about potty training.but u can get a free dvd on it from huggiess pull-ups
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My hubby potty trained our first daughter you have to keep track of when they drink and than around the time you think they are going to go you take them it helps if they see mommy go potty to all kids are different though goodluck!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 4:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My son started telling us when he had an accident. He chose his own potty and underpants at the store and he took to the potty right away. Everytime he tells us he has to go, we take him to the potty. We let him bring his toys or a book with him. I made him a train reward chart but he likes putting stickers on the potty. Whatever makes him feel proud ya know? We are a little over 1 month in, and he still has yet to have an accident free day or poop in the potty, but every child goes at their own pace! You have to stay consistant and patient.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Letting DD go "bottomless" .. she was PT in 3 days... One day after peeing her panties she was running around naked... Then we heard "i did it!" .. I looked over at her potty chair that was in the living room & by gosh -- SHE PEED BY HERSELF.... The next day running around naked she did good peeing in potty, but pooped on the floor ONCE.. She understood..... And didnt have another accident... For 5 days she ran around our house with long pjs on... that saturday we took her in public with panties.. and have never turned back.
    She will occasionally make an accident but its very rare.. She was 18mo when she potty trained & is now 3.5yo
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• For my son I only used pull ups when we were not at home. While at home and his grandparents house he had nothing on. Amazingly he never wet his pants, I would take him and always ask him he wanted to potty. Eventually one day he just started going on his own. Patience she will come around and use the potty!! Good luck!
    mommyrosck37

Answer by mommyrosck37 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We just started with my son, 23 months, last week. We went strait to undies. The first day was awful, he of coarse, peed everywhere! But he also figured out where his pee came from... the next day was totally different! 6 in the potty and 3 accidents.
    He still has accidents but they are getting less often and he will stay dry longer. To start we set a timer to bring him to the bathroom every 30 mins as he got better at it we set the timer for longer times. Now we let him go 90 mins before bringing him but most of the time he will ask to go on his own. When we go out we still use diapers because he's afraid to sit on other toilets... and we are no where near being trained at night.
    Skip pull ups they are a waste of money... the leak really bad and with my son he just thinks it's a diaper and pee's in it... where with the undies he will hold his pee longer.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2010