How do I wean my one year old from her bottle?

I cant seem to find this exact question. Do I just take her bottles away all at once, and if I did, then what happens? Will she eat more solid foods b/c she's hungry without her formula bottle? Or will she need more cows milk, which she drinks pretty inefficiently in a straw cup...?

Or can I do it gradually, keeping the important feedings like bedtime?

What did you guys do? What do you NOT recommend?

RunMum81

Asked by RunMum81 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she is doing a sippy well I just did it gradually. I took the night time bottle away last with DS. DD just gave up on the bottle when I took her off formula. It will vary with different children too.
    oboe_chik

Answer by oboe_chik at 4:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i started giving sippies to less bottles. some kids you can do it all at once and some a little slower. take cues from her. you can try all at once and if she starts throwing a reall big fit. then do it slowly. by the time she is ready to leave the sippy. it's usually easier because she is older and wanting to grow up a little faster.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 4:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I did it gradually with my older 2! They were 16 months and 23 months old when they finally got off the bottle. With my youngest - I did it cold turkey when she was 11.5 months - she never missed it,
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 4:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• After 12 mo children no longer need to drink formula or cow's milk. Formula was invented so babies could survive if their mother's didn't breastfeed. It is a human milk replacement. At 12 mo children no longer need that and can drink water. They can have 2 servings milk products if you would like. It's hard to keep toddlers to only 2 toddler size servings of food with milk since they like lots of foods with milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i tried the gradual thing with my kids and it never worked,i finally had to toss them all, with each child.
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i just took her bottles away right at 1...she didnt care.neither of my kids.i switched them to regular milk vitamn d like wic recommened and just gave them a sippy cup they dont need that bottle anymore and when or if they already have teeth that bottle can cause tooth decay and etc.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 4:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My son will be 1 on sunday. He could care less if he had the bottle or formula. He has enough formula to last until tuesday morning. After that bottle, i am throwing the bottles away and not buying anymore formula. I talked to my pedi and she said this was was fine as long as he doesnt get really distraught and if i have tested him to make sure hes ok with milk. Wich i have and hes fine with it :) Good luck!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'd make sure she can use a sippy cup first, Then what I did was eliminate the "least favorite" bottle first. Then we waited a week and got rid of the next bottle. we kept going until the bottle were gone. we did delay the nighttime bottle a little but that was because we were going on vacation and I wasn't trying to get rid of that in a new place! Once the last bottle is gone, do yourself a favor and get them out of the house or at least well hidden. The biggest problem we had was when he saw the bottles again after they were gone.. We didn't actually try to get rid of the bottles until 15 months because he didn't get the hang fo the sippy cup until then. Kids at this age should drink between 16 and 24 ozs of milk (or equivalent of yogurt, cheese, etc). Don't be surprise if your child won't immediately drink milk from a cup. Many kids won't since they just "know" milk comes from bottles.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My son at 11 months showed signs he was ready to get rid of his bottle. I would always offer his sippy cup with his formula in it and if he didn't drink it I would put it in a bottle. But one day he drank an entire 6 oz of formula out of his sippy cup so i got rid of all bottles after that. We never had a problem with him wanting his bottle again either. It was really easy for me but I have seen how hard it can be for some babies. Good luck!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Wow thanks guys. For some reason this weaning thing has got me stumped. I'm not in a huge hurry to wean, I've got a long term goal to be over with it by September (vacay) and a short term goal of 3 weeks (will run out of formula!). You're answers were great. I didnt realize she WOULDNT be drinking all the milk that used to be in a bottle, in a cup....

So... Now I think I'll go on as usual, which is morning and night bottles, and really push the straw-cup during the day. When the formula is gone, we'll toss the bottles.

Thanks!
    RunMum81

Comment by RunMum81 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2010