What do you do to get your kids to exercise?

My kids spend their lives inside either playing inside, watching DVDs or play video games. Obesity isn't a problem. They are all skinny. But they need some muscle and they just don't know what to do with themselves outside. I never had that problem as a kid. And I don't know what to do to help them. They get bored with outside. Any suggestions?

collier5

Asked by collier5 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• we all go outside and play together. take a walk..... go to the playground..... play in the sprinkler..... play in the sandbox or ride bikes. my kids love outside
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• How old are they? You might think about getting them involved in some kind of sports activity- that always helps.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i play dance music and we dance in the living room
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The computer games and game systems along with TV does interfere with developing their use of imagination. The more you limit the use of those things and encourage them going outside, reading etc, the more they will be able to keep themselves entertained. They are just used to a machine doing it for them.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• How old are they?
    My 9 year old sister and 5 year old daughter love bike riding, playing on the swing set at Mom's house. We play Frisbee, we play catch and toss with the softball and bat (I've even got the bruise on my forehead to prove that one!), we go for walks. Sometimes, we'll all 3 go for a walk and I'll tell Kiwi to show me how fast she can run, so she'll run about 20 feet ahead (we don't live near traffic, but in a trailer park w/one road that is strait and she knows that if she sees a car or I holler "grass" to get off the road). Then, when I get to her, I'll ask if she can go faster. It gets her running and she doesn't even know she's exercising.
    We hula hoop in the living room after pushing the furniture back, we walk the dogs (or let them walk us, it really depends on how you look at it).
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Make it a routine and have them join other kidscousins or neighbor kids toys are a must take them to the park dance at home my girls love music
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 4:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I will have my daughter in at least 2 sport activities,once shes older,but shes only one right now,and until shes old enough for the sports activities,i guess just take her on bike rides,go outside with her,take her to the park...
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 4:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We starting walking with them 2 miles a day either in the morning hours or evening when it's not so hot. They did complain at first but now they look forward to it and are drinking a lot more water. We are slowly trying to make that change so far so good we are on our 2nd wk. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• how old are your kids? Mine are just about 8 and 5 1/2. I have more luck getting them active when I leap into it with them. Set the example. Make it a family thing. Don't just send them out and let them figure it out on their own. We go for walks - sometimes we collect sticks, rocks, etc on the way and use them in games or crafts when we get home. We live a mile from their school so sometimes we'll walk there after hours (or the summer) and play on the playground for a while. We go to the park, play, hike, toss around a ball. We toss a ball in the yard. We play in the sprinkler. We play the Wii Fit or the ActiveLife Outdoor Challege. Both kids participate in group sports during the year - gymnastics for DD, baseball for DS. We 'practice' in their office season not because I care about making top athletes but because it keeps them active. ;) DH and I do what we can to be active too. It's an example and it matters a lot.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Nature hikes are my kids favorite!
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010