• In the Spotlight:

Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice

Lets see how well this goes over without an anon...

What is your stance and why?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Okay, I'll start :) Pro-life. Because I can't find a place at which my baby isn't my baby and just cells once it implants, and because the Bible is clear on the sanctity of an unborn life, and because I see every child as a gift from God, and as such they should be accepted or re-gifted, not returned :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's a woman's body - her choice. If she can live with the emotional impact she should be allowed to make this decision without another persons opinion intervening.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm pro-life. I believe every life is sacred, and that we can't put any conditions on that. I believe that from the moment of conception a fetus (zygote, whatever, lol) can biologically count as living.. I believe that choosing to have sex should come with the maturity and responsibility to handle what comes with it, and that there are other options - better options when it comes to unwanted babies. And before anyone asks, I don't believe in the death penalty, lol.

Let it be said, though, that I would rather try to find ways to cut down the need for abortion (sex ed, birth control, etc) than sit and argue about who's right. IMO abortion isn't the problem, its just one poor solution to the problem of unwanted pregnancy. I know no one is pro-abortion and that together we can find a way to help reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies - and maybe, one day, that will help cut down on the number of abortions in a significant way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am for abortion until a person gets so far along in the pregnancy. If the baby couldn't have lived outside the womb, then I don't see it as murder or anything bad.
    And, in cases of rape and incest, those things can take so long to prove that the pregnant woman will get too far along before a decision is made. That's why I'm not only for it during those instances, but all instead.
    However, I don't like the terms pro-life and pro-choice. What's the alternatives? Anti-life and Anti-choice?
    I think they need to be called something else.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm pro-born. I care about the children who are ALREADY here.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Pro-prevention. Abortions will never stop as long as there are unwanted pregnancies, so I'm all for reducing the need of ever having one.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Oh, and I ran out of room, but I also feel that someone should stand up for the child and its "choice"/rights. I understand a woman having the choice to do what she wants with her body, but I don't believe the baby counts as her body, since the cells that form for the fetus are the baby's and therefore are alien to her (which is why some womens' bodies attack their fetuses). I can understand seeing a fetus as a parasite, but in doing so I believe we need to recognize that the fetus is, then, alive, and not really part of the mother. Although, like I said, I'm really not the kind to want to argue it (I do have my opinions, though) - I'd rather do what we can to help women who are in the situation, or to prevent women from finding themselves in the situation, of unwanted pregnancy. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I had an abortion 8 years ago. I realized I killed a part of myself, my soul. But I think I lean on the side of choice. They have to live with it, just like I have to live with mine. And since I don't want their abandoned kids, I'd rather they deal with it. I'm more interested in eliminating pedophiles.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 4:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm pro-choice because every woman has the right to decide what to do with her own body. Every woman's situation is unique and I'm in no position to pass judgement.
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm Pro-Choice as well. But I'm generally anti-abortion. I believe education about both prevention and after pregnancy options are the best place to start ending unnecessary abortions. However, I also believe that if a child can not live outside the mother it is legally and medically a parasite and should be up to the woman as to whether or not to keep it, IMO it's no different from all the other life forms we kill or harm each day just by living our lives. None are more important than another. I also believe that Abortion needs to remain legal because politically I am extremely liberal, and I don't believe the government should have the right to decide what is and isn't a life - this would lead to many other issues IMO, such as people being forced to stay on Chemo or life support, or other choices being made in to law which shouldn't be. For me, it's not a black and white, it's a very very gray area.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010