Loud music at parties...why?

I'm not talking teens having a party. I'm talking about a normal, family gathering in the back yard (say for the 4th).
My neighbors do this all the time. They invite their entire family over then set their stereo up right outside my bedroom window and BLAST their music at peak volume. It's so loud, even with the windows closed I can hear it in every room. But then they sit on the other side of the yard and have to SCREAM at each other to be heard.
What's the point in that? If you are going to be sitting around chatting then turn the music off or at least down to a normal level. It's really annoying when I have to close my windows at night and sleep on the living room couch because they are having a party.
I won't get into the people that hire DJs for their parties that can be heard blocks away.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 5:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well, I would think someone hiring a DJ would be wanting to show off. Is there a noise ordinance in your area? Are you friends with the neighbors to where you or your SO could ask them to please move their music away from your house? Wouldn't it be funny if they put it by yours because the other next door neighbors already asked them?

I'm glad I live in apartments where we can complain to the manager about loud TV or music after 10 pm and they get a warning. Although, every Fall we get the stupid college kids living on their own for the first time who can't figure out that actual people live behind those other doors and windows. They will stand on the lawn right under the window and loudly discuss their personal lives at 1am, 2am.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Music doesn't need to be that loud to be heard through the windows. I can hear my neighbors talking outside, frequently loud enough to understand what they're saying.

If it bothers you then call the cops. If the neighbors are being too loud then they'll tell them to turn it down. If the noise level is acceptable they'll just be informed that there was a complaint and asked to keep on behaving. I was at a party a couple of months ago where one of the neighbors called the cops because we were sitting talking in the backyard. The cop just told us we were fine and warned us about the cranky neighbor.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We do have a noise ordinance but nobody cares. I believe loud music is supposed to be turned down at 10pm and isn't supposed to be heard so many feet from the source (have to look it up). I have called the cops before on another neighbor because their music was still blasting at 1am. They actually had the nerve to argue with the cop over it. He was like "it's 1am, people are trying to sleep." They were ticked.
    I just don't get the point of having it so loud you can't even hear the person sitting next to you so then you have to yell. Makes no sense to me. Living in the city I accept that I will hear the neighbors. Our houses are only 5' apart but, geesh, the loud music is annoying.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010