Potty training- GIRL

How did you potty train your little GIRL and how long did it take?

3jewlz

Asked by 3jewlz at 5:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used a kitchen timer and set if for every 20 mins and then set it again for 5 min on the potty. When she became proficient with peeing on the potty I set if for 25 min and sit for 4 min. I backed it up to every 45 min that I would take her potty. It only took 2 weeks to train and you have to be consistent. I didn't do treats or bribe her. We get excited and clap and say yeah pee pee when she goes. I don't believe in bribing for them to do something that they need to learn how to do. I also used cloth training pants because pull ups are to much like a diaper and they can't really tell that they are wet. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We started at 14 mos with familiarity of the seat- just giving her time on it. If she happened to go while sitting on it- there was lost of praise. Otherwise, it was child-led. We'd ask her if she had to go, place her on the potty. Then, around 2.5 years she expressed interest- we tossed the diapers, went to underwear and she was trained (day/night) at the end of the week. There were a couple of accidents over the next 6 months (about 3 total)- but in the end, she did well. We also implemented M&Ms as rewards- 1 m&m for going no. 1 and 2 m&ms for going number 2. LOL

Patience, consistency, and praise go a long way, imho. HTH!
    ..Sarah..

Answer by ..Sarah.. at 6:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i used padded cloth training pants that i ordered online. she was peeing in the potty in no time, but it took her a little longer to go number 2 in the potty. for some reason it scared her. no matter how much praise she received, she still wouldn't do it so i started rewarding her with 2 gummy bears every time she did it. now she'll go no problem with or without a reward.
    midnightraven06

Answer by midnightraven06 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My first was pretty much potty trained by her daycare, took them less than a week (we followed their schedule at night and on weekends), and she was not quite two yet. I went on maternity leave shorty after that, and she had no problems. But she wasn't PT'd at night until right before her 3rd birthday.

My second wanted to be like her big sister, and she was SUPER easy. Just started going on the the potty one day, and had it down since...She was about 19-20 months.

Our youngest is currently 23 months, and for the life of us cannot get this girl to PT. We put panties on her, or let her run around nakie at home, and she'll ask to go potty, we'll take her, she won't do anything other than play with TP (and want down as soon as we take it away) then she'll pee on the floor. OR she'll hold it until we put a nap or night time dipe on, and soak it. She's been quite the challenge.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010