Another crazy? Indiana woman tries to snatch baby, stabs parents

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Stephanie Foster wanted a baby so badly that when she suffered another miscarriage last fall, she didn't tell her husband.

Instead, police say Foster, 34, spent months stuffing a pillow inside her clothes to feign pregnancy, forging birth certificates and attending baby showers as she plotted to kidnap a newborn to pass off as her own.

"She didn't want to tell her husband because he was so elated that they finally were going to have a child," Vigo County Sheriff Jon Marvel said. When her husband asked to feel the baby move, Foster would jostle a paintbrush she'd slipped inside the pillow, Marvel said.

Police say Foster's elaborate hoax ended violently Wednesday when she stabbed a couple at their home as their month-old baby slept in the living room. Now, the baby is staying with relatives while his parents recover, and Foster sits in a county jail cell awaiting formal charges.

Weird?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 6:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What a nutjob.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 9:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Beyond weird. How did the husband not realize he was feeling a pillow and not a pregnant belly? When I was pregnant, my SO was always pulling my shirt up and rubbing my bare belly. IDK, this is very sad. Those poor parents!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Beyond weird. How did the husband not realize he was feeling a pillow and not a pregnant belly?

That's what I've always wanted to know in these fake pregnancy stories. How come nobody ever can tell they're not pregnant? There was another one here a few years ago - that psycho actually killed the mother. Not a single person any of these people knew didn't notice them having Katie Holmes syndrome?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• That husband is pretty clueless! He never looked at her belly, you know, pulled up her shirt a bit, and rubbed the baby bump? I thought that was pretty normal expectant daddy behavior. All I can say is WOW!! How could she have pulled all this off? I'm sorry, but there HAD to be some clues that she was not quite with it, that something had snapped in her. I feel for her, as far as the miscarriage goes, but beyond that I have no sympathy for her. Thank God the parents of the baby are OK, and are recovering!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I find it hard to believe that he really didn't know! I mean really how could he not unless he was on the other side of the world or something?!? I've had 2 miscarriages and all that went through my mind was I hope and pray no one else ever has to feel this way. I can't imagine taking a baby from another mother after knowing what it feels like to lose one!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 6:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'm not saying he did anything wrong I'm just wondering how he didn't realize he was loving up on a pillow instead of a baby belly... my belly was anything but soft and squishy when I was knocked up so that just kind of confuses me.
    -------
    She had never carried to term, I don't know if she had had more than 1 miscarriage, but the OP states that he was so excited to "finally have a child" so, they must of been trying to have one. So, to give Mr. Clueless a little bit of credit here, he probably didn't know how her belly was supposed to feel. But I can't believe that he never actually SAW her belly! He was interested, he wanted to feel the "baby" move, so she must have told him some kind of BS to keep him from seeing her belly... Hope she gets some help, quickly!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I had a miscarriage 29 years ago. I wanted my child. I was sad about the lose of the dream of my first born and all the hope and expectation. However, it never occurred to me to ruin another couples dream. It never occurred to a whole bunch of women.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• She has serious issues and needs psychiatric help.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 6:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Listen, I had a miscarriage once, and I was damn near crazy after it. It only took us two months to get pregnant, but six weeks after...I was hysterical. And I'm not a super emotional type of person.

I don't think this lady is going to get better.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Why do people think they can get away with this?

Why didn't the husband suspect something?

mancosmomma

Comment by mancosmomma (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010