What is your experience with the pain reliever, Aleve?

I ask because I've been taking Motrin (ibuprofin) on occasion, for years. Now I hear how bad it can be for one's heart, and that Aleve (naproxyn) can be safer.

Tylenol and aspirin don't work for me, plus they both make me feel stomach sick and shaky, even when I take them with food. Motrin works great for me, but I'm unsure about taking it, if it's not good for the heart.

I realize pain medications can work differently for each person, but I'd like to know other people's experiences with Aleve. Does it work well for you? Anyone have adverse effects from it? Thanks for any input!

Terranova

Asked by Terranova at 6:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Health

• I actually avoid aleve or asprin because my mom is severely allergic and didn't find out until she was 27ish. It hit her one day out of the blue, and scared me pretty bad. (I was only about 5 years old, and I remember how pain and cold she got). So I don't take medications like that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Gave me gastritis unless I took it with Pepcid.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Aleve works great for me... Recommended dose is 1 though, I take 2.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i haven't taken it for 10 years because i took it once then and i started feeling like i couldn't breathe. it could have been a coincidence but i just don't take it anymore
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Both are what they call NSAIDS (non steriod anti-inflammatory....something). They can eat your stomach lining if used long term, high dosage. The pharmacy tech told me to alternate between Motrin and Tylenol for my pain to avoid problems.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I've taken it, but it never did anything for me, neither does tylenol. I've been using ibuprophen for years....an FYI...that's the actual drug name for motin or advil. It's cheaper if you buy the store brands. It's about the only thing that will get rid of my period cramps.
    ColleenW62

Answer by ColleenW62 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's my favorite brand of pain reliever.
    m4k2004

Answer by m4k2004 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• it's all my mom takes for any kind of pain. it's all that works for her. but if you take too much or for too long it will cause ulcers or something like them. but she has never had any problems with it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It works great for my menstrual cramps, but I find it's harder on my stomach than ibuprofen.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I get prescribed for my period cramps it is the only thing that works for me. I also had it prescribed for knee pain. I find excedrin helps headaches and Aleve works for body pain but I dont have a clue what is safer than another.
    beckygeiger

Answer by beckygeiger at 8:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010