When did your child learn to swim??

My girl is 4 and never goes to the pool however we got a free YMCA pass for a week and we have only been 4 days now and she is swimming pretty good underwater too I am soooo proud of her!!! So how long did it take your kids to learn to swim?

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• DS1 started attempting to swim on his own last year (when he was 4). But DS2 (who is 4 now) still does not try to swim on his own.

I have them both in swim lessons now and they are both doing GREAT.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am a former competitive swimmer, lifeguard, swim instructor, etc...basically having anything and everything to do with being in, on and around the water! So I started teaching my boys when they were 5 months old. By the time they were 3 1/2 (winter babies) they were "dog paddling" and putting their face in teh water to blow bubbles, with their eyes open. Now at ages 8 and 6 they are swimming overhand front crawl/freestyle, and backcrawl/backstroke completely independently. I am teaching my older son breastroke this summer. I hope to start them on a local swim team in the fall, but for now they just enjoy playing--and I want them to decide what they want to do--sports wise.

I think it's WONDERFUL that your child is learning to swim! If you can afford it I would see about continuing lessons at the Y into the fall/winter. The younger you start the better--before they develop a fear of the water!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My daughter could swim when she was 3 and a half but we used to live in Greece for a few years at the time, on a beach and she was in the water all day since the day she was born.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010