When can I go swimming again? Do I have to stop for the rest of the summer?

My baby is due in 6 days. After I have him when is it safe for me to go swimming again? When can he go? Is the lake or pool the same or is one better than the other?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't take a newborn swimming in the lake or a pool. Their ears, eyes, sensitive skin, germs...too much for a tiny little baby. As for you I would say 6 weeks. Honestly i would just wait till next year.
    youngmom33

Answer by youngmom33 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• As soon as you feel up to it, you can go swimming again--unless you have a c-section or episiotomy, then I would wait until your scar and stitches have healed/closed up.

I would start off with both you and your baby swimming in a well maintained chlorinated pool--to cut down on bacterial exposure--who knows what you are exposed to in a lake! And make sure you cover your baby up really well--wide brimmed hat, full bathing suit (with Little Swimmers diapers), and keep him/her under some sort of shade system/awning, and limit sun exposure to less than 20 minutes--or swim when it is overcast or early/late in the day when the sun isn't at it's strongest. Unless your pediatrician says otherwise, sunscreen is NOT recommended on children under 6 months.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Depends on what type of delivery you have. A vaginal delivery swim when you stop bleeding. A C-section will depend on how long it takes to heal. I wouldn't take baby in until after six months of age, but that's me. I would stick to pools, but again that's me.Talk to your OB and see what he/she thinks.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I delivered a week and a half ago with no epsidomy and was told not to swim for 4 wks. which sucks cause my bday is in 2weeks and i want to go to the lake.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Well considering you cannot use tampons for the postpartum bleeding then you probably can't go until you are done with that and that varies. As for the baby I would NOT take them to a lake under 1 year old due to bacteria etc in the lake, a pool maybe around 6-9 months old, but the chlorine could still be bad for their skin. Mine were at the beach the year they were born, but they did not go in the water until the next year (may and june babies).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The baby really probably shouldn't swim in anything but a bathtub for at least 6 months. Just because chlorine can be harsh on skin, lakes have bacteria, sunscreen is a no no until at least 6 months.

For you I would say at least 6 weeks, because if you are still bleeding you cannot use tampons for at least that long. Also if you tear or have an episiotomy you will want the stitches to heal and come out before going in that type of water. C-Section would probably keep you out of the water even longer.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Depending on your delivery I would say until you are healed....also until next year you should stick to pools only, they are more sanitary...also the baby shouldn't even be in direct sunlight until he is 6mo old...so he should wait til next year
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think he would be too young to go this summer. As for you, I'd talk to your doctor. I think you should atleast wait until your done your post partum bleeding. But I'm not sure if you should wait any longer than that.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 7:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sounds like I should just skip this summer... I just wasn't sure because I've never had a summer baby... Fear of the unknown ya know? If you have any other tips and advice for me on anything else please feel free...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'd say to wait until your done bleeding, like the other ladies said. As for the baby, I don't think they should be in the water quite yet. Not only is it the bacteria I worry about (or the cholorine... which can't be good on a wee ones skin), it's the temperature. I live in Montana and there really isn't a "warm" place to go swimming unless your in a heated pool, and who wants to be in one of those in the middle of summer! I probably wouldn't bring a baby in until about 4 months, when they could really start to enjoy it. Ask your pediatrician... if you find a nice indoor pool, I don't see anything wrong with it later this summer. I know that a lot of drs don't even recommend full immersion baths for the first month or so.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010