Do coupons really work?

Just trying this the first time. It looks easy but difficult to start.

richymoni

Asked by richymoni at 6:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Shopping

• Yes they do, as long as you don't buy what you won't use.

Answer by Bmat at 6:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yes they work. But if you aren't used to buying a name brand of something, and then you get the coupon for a name brand, you may still save money by buying the generic brand. But it is all a personal decision also.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I use them once in awhile, but most coupons are for things I don't normally buy so I don't use them often.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• im a cashier at a store, and theres a lady that comes in 1-2 times a week, spends about 75-80 worth of stuff, but has so many coupons, she literally only ends up paying about 10 bucks!! its crazzzzy!!! where i work tho ppl are allowed to stack their coupons, whereas most stores here dont..plus we match prices..but yaa..ya do the work figure everything out, its SOO worth it..i use coupons where i can
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yes. There is a great website for coupons called Retailmenot.com try it . You will love it
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Absolutely, but you have to use them the right way. Don't use them the weekend they come out - hold them until the item is on sale, and take the coupon off the sale price. Only buy what you'll use, and don't fall into the trap of buying tons of pop tarts and hamburger helper just because it's free. There are several websites out there that will teach you how to get organized and do it right. This is the one I use:

Blog

Website

Check the message boards there too and you'll find a ton of info.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• heck yes it does! i basically get my groceries tax free b/c of coupons...the coupons equal the tax (and sometimes more). the key is to cut/print only coupons for things you already buy or would use. also, you have to keep an eye out for coupons that sound like a deal but are still more expensive than buying other brands.

get a coupon organizer and start searching the paper & internet. i use coupons.com and coupons.smartsource.com (their coupons arent always accepted at Walmart) as they have the best coupons, but you do have to register for the service. its free but they will send you some junk email.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I use coupons like crazy! The idea behind coupons is stocking up while items are on sale with a coupons so you wont have to buy them and pay full price. I usually stock up about 20 boxes of cereal and I don't have to buy it again until I can get it for about .50 a box.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 7:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Coupons rock! But be careful about buying something you wouldn't usually. The best way to use them is to save them for when the item is on store sale too. I have saved up to $90 using coupons with store sales, it's a sport to me.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes I always have a large stack of coupons at the checkout line. I am used to getting dirty looks...at least I am saving money and not flushing it down the drain :-) Every dollar does add up with today economy. I make an extra payment on my utilities with the money I am saving each month. I would suggest joining a train and making a wishlist..That way you can get the coupons you want without paying for coupons you don't need :-)
    jddrake26

Answer by jddrake26 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010