Getting my son to nap...

The last four days my son (2 1/2) has refused to nap. You can tell he's exhausted, his eyes are practically rolling back in his head, but he won't go to sleep. I think my sister being at home during the day is throwing off his routine. How can I try to help him stick to his napping schedule? When he doesn't nap he spends the second half of the day screaming and just being completely miserable! I just want him to sleep, lol!

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just be consistent. Keep putting him down at the same time. My kid go through phases where they're difficult to get to sleep at time. Eventually, if he really still needs the nap, which it sounds like he does, he'll go back to his old routine.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Why not just have a down time? Tell him he doesn't have to sleep but he has to rest. That should get him in the mood for sleep.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I try that, lol, but all he does is scream, even if I try to lay with him and watch tv, which used to be how he fell asleep all the time. We've been having him go to bed on his own for a few months now and he's been doing great - and even now that he won't nap he's great at bedtime.

I guess I could lay with him and cuddle and read to him and sing to him a little.... :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010