tatoos and piercings

My 17yo dd soon to be 18 in one month just got a tatoo on her hip she has her nose pierced her navel pierced that is it.

all very tasteful as tatoos go and piercings go..Compared to her friends with hips pierced necks pierced wrists etc and tatoos all over themselves feet neck etc..

Now am I the mean mom who says no more one tatoo and it can't be seen in a wedding gown and she has that no crazy piercings... She thinks since she will be 18 that she should be able to get what she wants i say house rules...

Joeydollbaby

Asked by Joeydollbaby at 7:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Since she will be 18 she can get whatever she wants, the mistake was letting her see that she likes it while still underage when her body is your responsibility, now she knows she likes it, and you are Now going to limit her after allowing it before?

Trust me any piercing or tattoo she wants she will get, you can't punish her for something you okay-d to begin with
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't believe your house rules should have any say over what she does with her body. IF you wish to say no more til she's 18, that's up to you, but beyond that, it's her body. You could just as easily tell her to find her own place, which I personally believe EVERY child should do between 18 and 19 anyways - but then you give up ALL control over her life. Really what it comes down to is it's her body and whether or not you make this rule or not, she's going to do what she wants once she's 18... So why make waves?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would say she should def respect your word as long as she is living in your house, but after she turns 18 theres not much you can do about it, she could go behind your back and get what she wants anyways
    whatthefawna

Answer by whatthefawna at 7:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's her body and she should be able to get any tattoo she wants where she wants. I have 12 tatoos from my feet to my clavical bone(right under your collar bone) and I am very proud of them and am soo glad I have them. They are a reminder everyday of what I have been through! If you tell her not to she will and she will hate you!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree your house, your rules!! ...but she will probably still do what she thinks she can..
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 7:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I say if she is living with you you have the right to what she does. So is everyone else saying if she is still living there at 21 and wants to drink she can I don't think so she has to respect her mom when living there (if her mom don't want her drinking)
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would have to say just tell here think of it this way when you want to get a job and your older this may prevent you from getting hired. And I'm 23 now and I have trouble hiding one on my arm. And yea like you , my mother asked me not to untill I got older and I resected her house rules .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 8:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would save the "my house, my rules" for the more important things.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Are you saying no more until she's 18 or no more ever? If it's no more until she's 18 then that's fair but if it's for always well, you really can't ccontrol that. I myself have 3 and am getting a 4th soon and have plans for at least 2 other after that (I would have WAY more if I hadn't been a late bloomer and gotten my 1st at almost 39). My sons are 18, 19, 22 and 23 and they all have tattoos. Three were under 18 when they got their 1st ones and 3 of them have more than 1. Tattoos are a form of art and I would never tell any of my children that they couldn't have them. Once your daughter turns 18 I would say that any decision she makes regardding her body is hers to make.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010