what exactly do contractions feel like?

im 35w 5d i think im having them but im no sure..it hurts but it excites me.. i feel like this sharp instant pain like something stings me when it goes aways the cramps r still there.. what should i do

_MORENA_

Asked by _MORENA_ at 11:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• for me they felt like cramps in the beginning
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Oh you will know they are real when you feel them. Just wait a while more.
    njoynlife

Answer by njoynlife at 11:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• They could be Braxton Hick contractions
    Braxton Hicks contractions - BabyCenter
    How to recognize these painless uterine contractions that happen throughout pregnancy.
    www.babycenter.com/0_braxton-hicks-contractions_156.bc -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i had contractions and to me thats what it sounded like but when they are real you should know. Make suer you time them.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 9:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i too am 35 weeks & i've been having contractions for a few weeks now. w/my 1st i probably had them & didn't know that's what it was, but being as this is my 2nd time around i know.

as far as what it feels like- to me it is like a really tight feeling in the uppper part of your stomach, i sometimes get cramps with it in the same place as period cramps but not always. at 1st i thought it was the baby pushing out really hard. but it becomes abnormally tight & a lot of times i get short of breath as well. it only lasts a couple minuets & of course they don't continue to come because it's just braxton hicks so moving positions can subside them.

as far as these compared to the real thing when you're in active labor-- they are much MUCH more painful & yes, you will most definitely be able to tell the difference. i was in labor for 13 hrs w/my 1st & wasn't in any pain till active labor which was the last 3 hrs, but i'd had contractions the whole time. hope this
    mommaCAT215

Answer by mommaCAT215 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• To me they felt like the tightening in your arm when you are getting your blood pressure taken. Then they progress from there. I was in labor 14 hrs before getting medication, toward the end it literally feels like a person trying to burst out of your body. lol!
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 11:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• really bad period cramps.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Those are braxton hicks contractions.
    deliela

Answer by deliela at 6:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2008