Lets talk books!

If you could recommend one book to someone unfamiliar with your beliefs to help them understand how you believe, what would it be?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oooo...good question! Too bad I don't have an answer. lol No one book would explain my beliefs unless I wrote the book myself. My religious beliefs are rather like a crazy quilt. Lots of scraps that don't necessarily fit together neatly but end up making a unique and beautiful patchwork that meets my needs and provides me with beauty at the same time.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The Prose Eddas with a disclaimer - it is important to understand the context of it, and a good version will have footnotes that explain it. Not all of them do, though. A lot of it was written in a way that hit had to work around the censorship from another religion. Good footnotes explain where this is happening and even where things were outright changed to prevent them from being censored (like references to beliefs that have nothing to do with it - they don't actually belong there, but 700 years ago you didn't really have much choice - you keep the church happy or they kill you)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The Everything Paganism Book... It gives a good general overview of a number of Pagan belief systems in terms that anyone can understand.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• *that it had, not hit...I hope they fix this typing lag thing soon
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Idiots Guide to Wicca/Witchcraft
    Essentials of Hinduism

*I realize, OP, that you said one book but my beliefs are a mix of two so I did one book per belief LOL*
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am jotting all of these down. I am always looking for books to add to my list to read
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The Encyclopedia of Celtic Wisdom. I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist, so source material with some explaination is the best for me.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 1:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• "The book your church doesn't want you to read" edited by Tim Leedom. And, yes, that IS what it's called.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Losing Faith in Faith by Dan Barker.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Jessradtke - I'm with you. I am Pagan, and the book I chose is the best I have found at explaining a wide variety of Pagan belief systems. But it still doesn't define my beliefs. My beliefs are pulled not just from Pagan Belief systems but also Christian, Jewish and just about any other faith out there. I believe that all faiths are the same at the core and that historical and scientific proof backs up beliefs and traditions from a great many sides of the coin... Point being, there isn't a book out there that would work for my beliefs either... Which is why I'm working on my own!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2010