How to get baby to go to sleep... and STAY asleep...?!

I have boy/girl twins that are one month old and my girl is very ...um... needy, I guess you would call it. She wants to be held all the time... whether there is anything wrong with her or not. The problem is... if we hold her she will go to sleep but as soon as we lay her down, she starts screaming again. What am I supposed to do?! lol

If this has happened to any of you, which I'm sure it has.... how did you deal with it? What worked for you and your baby?

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok I may get bashed for this, but it worked for me. And I am all about whatever works for you is good :) lol

My dd was like this, and I knew she would sleep better in her swing, so I let her sleep in that lovely swing, all day and night until she was about 3 months or so.

Now some people would say, dont do that, they will get use to it and not sleep any other way, and in most cases that is probably true, but my dd did fine, transitioned to her baby bed fine :)

And I got to rest :) So be cautious if you try this, but do what helps you get thorough this time period and dont let people make you feel bad about it :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We used the The Summer Infant Rest Assured Sleeper so she could sleep with us. It really helped.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 7:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• That is very normal for a one month old baby. My daughter was like that until she was about 3 months. Have you tried getting a sling so she can nap on you during the day? Have you considered co-sleeping? It is very beneficial for baby to sleep close to mama - you could get the arms reach co-sleeper, if you're not comfortable having baby in bed with you.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my ds is 3 months old and is still like this, during the day he has to be held to fall asleep, but then when he does, i put him in his swing and he naps really well in there during the day. at night he nurses between 11 and 11:30, then he's out for the night. but definately try the swing. they work miracles!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It is very normal at 1 month old to be like that. I would suggest getting sling and carrying her while she naps and you can sling both twins if you like. Try the site www.babywearer.com for tips on choosing a sling and wearing both babies. Cosleeping also helps a lot for them to feel more comfortable and sleep better at night.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• At one month, it's not at all surprising. You've been given good suggestions. Also be aware that what worked one night may not work the next...and that's normal too.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• they say not to use slings untill around 4 months or so, due to baby's airway being cut off. google it. but i would really recomend swaddling. my dd was the same way, and one day we swaddled her and she slept for 4 hours straight and stayed asleep when we put her down. gl
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We used the halo sleep sack swaddler and it was a life saver. My son is 4 months old and he is growing out of it fast!! But he still likes to be swaddled. We also use the swaddle me's. As she gets older, it will get easier to get her to fall asleep and stay asleep- hang in there!
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Will she sleep (and stay asleep) in a swing/bouncer? If so, then it might be a reflux issue. Laying flat on the back can disturb babies with reflux. There are medications that can help. Try her in a swing (or on an incline of some sort...pillow under one side of the mattress to create a slight incline) and see if that helps.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010