I want to kill myself because no one is hiring me. I think that my life sucks!

I am a 24 year old girl. I go to college in New York. I am majoring in psychology and minoring in biology. I completed 93 credits with a 2.498 GPA. I am not taking any courses this summer. I’m spending all day looking for a job as a lab technician, or an animal caretaker/trainer. I love animals. No one is hiring me due to my lack of experience and low GPA. I never worked in a lab before. I only worked as a clerical assistant for one and a half year, that’s the only job I ever had. I am thinking about suicide because I’m still living with my parents at 24. How can I ever get a job with animals? I would like to volunteer at a lab, so that I could get some experience. But I am afraid that at 24, I am too old to start volunteering. I am more concerned about my lack of experience, than my 2.5 GPA. I don’t plan to go to graduate school. I hope to get an interesting, well-paying job after I’ll earn my Bachelors degree.

annalem

Asked by annalem at 7:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• First of all, stop beating yourself up and build your self-confidence. No one is hiring you because you have a lot of self-doubt and interviewers can see that. Be confident in your answers, be bold. Accept the rejections you get and learn from them for the next interview. Learn what you did wrong and work on it! Stop moping and keep your head up! You will get a job! Promise!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 7:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• What about working at a zoo or amusement park that has animal exhibit? Are you near any animal sanctuaries or rescue centers? What about a local veterinarian? I mean if you're volunteering, I can't imagine why someone wouldn't allow you to help out.

Maybe try contacting the ASPCA--and see if they know of anyone looking for internships/volunteers. Another thing you could consider, and make some money is offering to take care of neighbors pets while they are at work or on vacation--so they don;t have to send their pets to a kennel?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• What about a pet store or groomer. What about starting your own pet sitting/walking business. 24 is not sa bad to be living with the 'rents' if your still in school... give it time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• First, the economy is bad everywhere, so whenever there is a job opening in any field, the competition is pretty stiff. Secondly, you're never too old to start volunteering. Maybe you can look into an intership for next school year. Lastly, remember you're not alone. A lot of college educated people go through this. It's a myth that you go to college and automaticly get a job. And it's a catch 22. You need a job to get experience and you need experience to get a job. I went through a similiar thing when I graduated. Contact me if you want to talk privately.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The above our all good ideas, and I'd love to vote them up, but I am out of credits for today. I would also try a zoo. What a great way to get experience this summer. As well, I would really suggest you get some counseling. It helps sometimes just to have someone to vent your feelings too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's tough out there right now because the economy sucks so bad. I'm trying to find a full-time job in a hospital because I only work part-time right now. I have fifteen years of experience and I'm having a hard time finding a job! The volunteering is a good idea, and no, you are never too old to start volunteering. Find a shelter in your area and ask to volunteer. Apply at pet stores as a cashier to at least get a little experience around animals. Anything is possible as long as you don't give up. Things will get better, you'll see. You just have to be patient and persistent.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• jobs are hard to come by every where. and didnt you get hands on experience in school? you should of got some lab time with your biology major. im going to school for pharmacy and my whole last quarter will be clinicals in a "public" pharmacy and also in a hospital pharmacy. so i will have experience in the field, i already have a job offer in my home town at a hospital i used to volunteer at when i was in high school and i dont graduate until june 2011. i went in before school and arranged my high school classes so my study hall time was in the morning, and i volunteered in the pharmacy.
    and u are never too old to start volunteering, so if i were u id find a place where u want a work and tell them you will volunteer x amount of time every week and then negotiate gettin a paying job there.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2010