my 5 year old says it hurts to swollow, but she said her throat doesn't hurt

She had a fever yesterday of 102.3 and today it is about 99.8 she said she has to go spit (LOL) I asked why she said it hurts to swollow. I asked where it hurts she said in the back of her mouth I asked if her throat hurts she said no just the back of her mouth looks like she might have some white spots on her tounge. What is this? Should I call the doctor? If I do call the doctor and they want to see her should I ask for my 2.5 year old to be seen to she got a fever today of 102

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• It could be strep throat. Take her to the doctor to find out. It could also be her sinuses draining into her throat causing it to be sore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sounds VERY much like strep mom! And strep can be very serious. My son had it and it went to his lymph nodes
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Yep, I would bring them both in and ask for a throat culture. They could have strep.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• could it be oral thrush?
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 7:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am betting it's strep! I just had my first bout of it--ever! And I had the hardest time swallowing, but my throat didn't hurt at all. In fact the "quick test" came back negative, yet when they sent the culture out to the lab, it came back positive!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Also sounds like strep to me too.
    cricketdawn81

Answer by cricketdawn81 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• thanks I thought it might sound like strep myself I called the doctor they have appointments at 4 tomorrow.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't know...last week my son brought home some kinda cold and my throat hurt, but it wasn't a sore throat. The doc just sent me home and said if it didn't get better in a few days to give them a call. It took about a week to go away, it was strange though.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010