How should I feel??????

I'm a mom of two special need kids...one with Asperger's and ADHD, and another with unspecific diagnosed developmental delays. Everytime I go out to do something as simple as shopping it is a nightmare. Today for example I left my shopping cart with the two shirts I tried on there at the Ross Dress for Less because my daughter was throwing a fit and crying and doesn't like being held? Should I have just waited out the long line to pay or should I have stuck it out despite others being annoyed by her incredibly loud fussing?? I am beyond knowing what to do at this point..I deal with most of this on my own and I feel that at times it's better just to stay at home than subject myself to others stares and misunderstanding's about what I'm dealing with..I feel so alone...How should I feel?????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a son with Aspergers and when he was younger he had meltdowns in public. People stared and every so often muttered how he needed a spanking. Most days I ignored the looks and comments but when it was just too much I would put them in their place and tell them that he had autism (going in to Aspergers and an explanation would have taken too much time) and that it happens and if they didn't like it, oh well and that I wasn't going to spank a child who couldn't help the fits he threw. You shouldn't have to stay home and be a prisoner. (((((HUGS)))))
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You have a right to feel how you feel....but I would probably get to the point that i'd start telling people that are staring at you that whatever child that's acting up has whatever special need they have, and if they'd like to try to deal with your situation then by all means they can! Don't be ashamed or anything....I tell my husband that when we're out....who knows what the situation is, and if it were my child, I wouldn't want to be watched to see what I do or don't do...or for whatever reason!
    Keep up the good work mama....and do the best that you can!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• In your circumstance I would have waited it out and paid for my stuff and everyone who was annoyed or bothered would just have to stay that way. By leaving you may be giving your DD exactly what she wants, so in a sense you are creating an issue. Gosh I hope that makes sense, my brain is on slow today :).

I would also try to shop with someone, anyone who may be able to help. That way you guys can tag team and maybe actualy get something done.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2010