When do you start talking to your daughter about period/sex/using procetion etc?

Mine is only 5 years old so I think it's too early but I was just wondering..

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 8:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would think about around 10-12 years old I think it would depend on the child. I started my period at 12 so my mom talk to me about getting my period when i was 11.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's definitely not to early! I got my period at 8, but kids can get them as early as 6 or 7... I've even heard of some that were much younger. As for sex, we start that talk as soon as they can tell the difference between boys and girls in this house. I think it's very important to make that something your kids feel comfortable talking about with you. I remember playing "touchy feely" with my classmates as early as first grade... It's very important to start early, because the kids that don't learn from mom and dad will learn from friends and classmates - many of which have learned from TV and Movies...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My daughter is 10 and we just had that talk a couple of months ago...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I know it's too early for my DD to get her period because she's a little shorter and skinnier than average so I don't think she's getting her period too early.
    pipermomofash

Comment by pipermomofash (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I talk about my period with my 3-year-old, so she doesn't get surprised about it later. As far as sex and birth control, she only knows that a sperm from the daddy meets up with an egg from the mommy (much like in the nature documentaries she likes to watch.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i personally have been talking to my girls about it from day one.a long as you treat it as just a part of life, they will too.i dont go into great details about the sex part but they know mommy and daddy spend time alone and that sex is what makes babies.my oldest two are 10 and 8 now and they so far seem very comfortable asking me about any of this so i am glad i have addressed it they way we have
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Your daughter is NOT to young. I have been talking to my son since he was 6. You just have to gear the conversations to their age level and development. It is never to young to talk to your child about their bodies,etc. This should never be a onetime conversation but an ongoing on. Open communication is essential for our children.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I started talking to my kids about biology when they were born. That way it never was an odd subject to either of us. I answer questions they have as they get older. The actual sex talk will come when either when they ask or I feel they are ready to hear about it.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Mine is also 5 and she knows the basics about the period and that babies come from sex and the basic mechanics of it (penis in vagina, sperms find egg, baby is made). Only because she asked and kept asking more questions after I would give her an answer. She kept wanting to know more. I figure I'll wait a few more years to start the protection talk and give her more info on everything.
    I would rather her get her answers from me than friends who get their information mixed up or other people. I've always thought if a kid was old enough to ask the questions, they were old enough to get basic answers.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010