Do I leave my 5-year-old alone in the same room as my 3-month-old?

My 5yo daughter is really responsible and actually very good with her sister. She knows she's not supposed to pick her up etc. But the've never been alone in the same room for more than the time I need to go to the bathroom or just get the door etc.
Is it safe to leave them alone in a room for like 15 minutes to take a shower or cook etc?

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 8:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess that all depends on the maturity if your 5 year old. You know your children the best, so you if feel 100% about it, then go for it. But I'm guessing there is still some worry since you are asking the question. I would probably test the waters a little bit; try something like telling your older dd that you have to do something for a few mins and ask if she can be a good helper and watch the baby (making sure she knows all the rules of course), and then keep an eye on her where she can't see you to see how she does.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You might want to do a "test" run on that. Put the baby monitor on or make sure you are just around the corner and see what happens. Do this for a few times. Then if you are comfortable with it, try something more like cooking (with the baby monitor on hand to listen in). See how things work out and make sure that you always have the ground rules for your daughter and review them each time as a reminder.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 8:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i think you can only answer that, you know your daughter and her behaviors more than anyone, as for me i dont think i would but im just one of those "what if" types of ppl lol
    whatthefawna

Answer by whatthefawna at 8:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• no i think that is not safe why not just put her in the carseat in the bathroom with u while u take a shower, thats what i did!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would explain to her that if the baby crys then she needs to come and get you in the shower or if your LO takes a binky then maybe your DD can see if the baby lost the binky and she can give it back to her. If you don't feel comfortable then put the baby in a bounce seat and leave the bathroom door open.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• For showering, no. For running in to the kitchen to cook or running in to the bathroom tto pee, yes. My older 2 were 2 1/2 and 4 when my 3rd was born and 4 and 5 1/2 when my 4th was born and they could be trusted in the same room with the little one/ones while I cooked or used the 1/2 bath which was too small to bring a baby carrier in to. For showers I waited until nap or bed time or got up a little earlier to shower.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I'd say it is fine if your trust your 5 yo. I leave my 3 yo in the room with her one month old brother at various times thorugh out the day. I may be up folding laundry, washing bottles, etc. She knows to just get me if he starts to cry. I hear him anyway. As for showers, I usually get my little guy sleeping first, and my DD just plays with her toys while I shower.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on your 5 year old. If you know that she won't do anything to the baby, you could try leaving them alone. If you think something might happen, I would bring one of them with you or wait until they are asleep to do what you have to do. Another option is to put the baby somewhere where the 5 year old can't get to him (crib, pack n play, etc) while you take a shower. I would do like pp have said and do trial activities to see how it works.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2010