Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your ex husband gets over other weekend with the kids and you have custody of the kids and you get a job offer out of state can you move? Just wondering if anyone knows how this works?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • you'll have to go to court and have a modified visitation plan available... like, meeting half way every other weekend... or something of the sort. if you have custody, and you can prove that this move will be for the better of the child, then they will likely be willing to work with you.

    Answer by gracefulsky at 8:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • I know a couple who have this arrangment and she recently moved out of state. You may have to have special permission or your ex-husband may have to agree to it or the law may vary from state to state. If you have a County Attorney or a Public Advocacy office, you could probably call and ask them what the law is in your state.

    Answer by NannyB. at 8:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • You have to go to court and ask for a modification of the visitation schedule and ask to move out of state. Dad has to be notified about the hearing.. If you move out of state without notifying the court and going through the correct legal actions, he can accuse you of kidnapping the kids.

    Answer by beyondhopes at 8:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • Dad can always try to prove that the move would be bad for the children and then he can be awarded custody and you will be paying child support. So, way your options before trying to get a job out of state.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • It should state in your final divorce decree whether you are responsible for the children's housing or not. If you were appointed the primary parent, then you should be able to do it without a problem. I would still get his permission though.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • You'd have to go to court...but before you do that, you should be discussing this with your ex husband. The possible move will have a major impact on his relationship with the children.

    Answer by Fallaya at 9:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

  • It depends on if there is a custody order or not. I have custody of my two children from a previous marriage, and i'm in NO way obligated to ask permission from my Ex-Husband to move out of state. With that being said, he'd never stop me, and doesn't live in this state anyway. My husband now is in the military so i've discussed the chance of an out of state move with him out of sheer respect, and he has no qualms with it.

    I would start with talking to the ex husband. If he's not agreeable, take it to court. If you have a better opportunity out of state, I would think they'd take that into consideration. Who would want to stop a parent from doing BETTER for their kids? But just weigh your options beforehand.

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.