im looking to buy prepackaged lunch for my 7 yr old son to take to school.

are there anything out there besides oscar mayer "lunchables"!!!! something nutritious

haldav

Asked by haldav at 8:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no. not that i am aware of.. If its prepackaged it means it most likely has tons of preservatives in it... Try looking into fast lunches. It will be healthier & cheaper .... There may be some things your son can make himself or help with... A quick lunch shouldnt take more than 5min.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• instead of the pizza lunchables, we make our own. i get all natural pizza crust and sauce. we get hormel natural lunch meat and no hormone cheese. i pack these topping in separate containers and it is a healthier version of the lunchable. that is the only one my son really wanted.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I agree, the lunchables don't get very good reviews.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think the most nutritious and least expensive thing to pack is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a piece of fruit (apple, orange, banana, grapes, etc.), some crackers, and a juice box or water. Instead of PB & J you can substitute with low sodium/low fat deli meat--like ham, turkey or roast beef with some cheese, or pre cooked chicken nuggets (you can make a batch of homemade ones on the weekend) and send in a ziploc bag full with some dipping sauce--like honey mustard or BBQ, packed in an insulated box or bag with reusable ice block.

Nothing you buy that is processed/pre-packaged is going to be as healthy--and it will end up being VERY expensive!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Prepackaged isn't going to be nutritious. It would be healthier just to send him with something homemade.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Sometimes things are so crazy that I don't have time to send home made. I do keep pre-packaged things around that make it quick. My kids love the Uncrustable sandwiches, I always keep Capri Sun "roaring waters" pouches, I generally have 'apple jammers" (sliced apples with yogurt or caramel sauce to dip in. I only buy the yopgurt), I keep yogurt and carob covered raisinson hand all the time, My kids love dried dates too. At costco I buy this big box of freeze dried fruit. No preservatives nothing added. It has Asain pears, apples ,and strawberries and bananas. In a pinch I can throw 3 lunches together in less than 5 minutes and it is WAY better than the lunchable garbage. My kids won't eat them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I am not aware of healthy prepackaged anything. Maybe you could try a place like whole foods if you had to have something prepackaged they might have it.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Some of these might work if you heat them in the morning and wrap in foil or put in an insulated container:

http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=10

http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=20

http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=8

Most grocery stores, I think, carry at least some Amy's stuff. Stores with large health food sections carry more.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=5
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• why not just do hot leftovers in a thermos

sandwiches

homemade "lunchables"

salads

fresh or dried fruit and/or cut up fresh veggies

LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 12:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010