How to keep my 19 month old safe in a toddler/big kid bed

My son has attempted to climb out of his crib so we are going to convert his crib into a toddler bed. He is a VERY curious 19 month old who has to touch and check everything out. We childproof as much as we can but my question is how far to go with the childproofing? Did you remove (low/long) dressers from the room? He can't tip it but he can pull the drawers out. How about outlets and electrical items?
Any other tips that worked for you are welcome too :)
Thank You!

arocks

Asked by arocks at 8:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my children were 2 they moved out of their cribs and into queen sized beds! Their beds had headboards and foot boards, and I placed one long side against the wall, the "open" side had a padded mesh side rail (from One Step Ahead), that kept him from falling out of bed. On the wall side of the bed, I placed a full length body pillow so they wouldn't hit the wall in their sleep, and wake up.

I kept the high and low/long dressers in their rooms, but didn't keep a lot of "interesting" things in them--just t-shirts, pull ups, underwear, socks, some summer clothes, etc. That way once they knew what was in the drawers, the curiosity stopped. I covered open outlets with outlet protectors, kept a light sensitive nightlight plugged in, and didn't put anything up high (that would be of interest) that would give them the motivation to climb! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• This is very dependent on the child. My son moved to a bed (we skipped the toddler be and went right to a double) at 22 months. We put doorknob protectors on the door to make sure he couldn't leave his room. We didn't worry about the outlets. If you're going to put covers on, make sure they're clear, other wise they draw attention.. The bigger risk is a child partially pulling out a plug vs putting something into an outlet so limit what's plugged in and accessible. We left everything else and he never messed with anything (emptied a drawer or two but that was it). We did have to take the diaper genie out since he figured out how to open it up.. However, a friend of mine had to remove every piece of furniture from her son's room because he'd use the drawers to climb. She found him sitting in the top drawer one day! If your child is a big climber, you'll want to watch carefully.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I covered all the outlets, SO nailed the bookshelf to the wall. the dresser fits in the closet and DS cant reach the doorknobs yet so that isnt a concern, but we do have doorknob covers for when that time comes. he also cant reach the window, but we will put locks on them when he can. The wires for the lamp and the nightlight are tucked behind the bookshelf, and we have nothing heavy or within reach hanging on the walls. his bed already has rails attached to the sides, but he has never really had an issue with falling off the bed before. Even if he does fall off the bed, it's a much smaller fall than the crib would have been!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my son has been in one since 11 months, i live in ca so the dresser already had earthquake straps.

but cover outlets and put a gate at the door one of the tension gates so you can raise it about 3 inches off the ground, that way he cant climb over it or under it. or get a door knob cover so he cant open the door. if his room is on a second story make sure to put safety features on the windows if you plan to keep them open.
    BestmamaIcanb

Answer by BestmamaIcanb at 1:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2010