How to get my 10 month old to nap in his own room

Hi. My son has been sleeping in his crib in my room since he was born. He is almost 10 months old so I thought it was time to move him into his own room. Every since I did this, about 3 weeks ago, he's been crying when I leave the room. Sometimes, usually naptime, he cries and refuses to nap. If he does end up falling asleep he wakes up about 20 minutes later..crying. He cries in the morning when he wakes up. He use to wake up happy, talking to himself, he would wake me up talking to himself. When he would notice me watching him he would smile real big. So this crying all the time thing is new and it's affecting his sleep. He has always taken two 1 - 2 hour naps a day, now he's only napping for about half hour at a time and he's so cranky. I'm not sure what to do. Sould I move him back into my room?

Gradybabysmom

Asked by Gradybabysmom at 8:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say keep at it a bit longer and try the 5 min thing. thats basically when he cries you wait 5 mins and talk to him from the other room"moms here" keep your voice cheerfula nd light, wait five mins then go in, lay him down and leave again, then stretch it to ten mine, 15 so on. this works with my 14 month old. remember to try to keep iot cheerfula nd maybe a fun new naptime routine, like a story a song, a dance? then he will associate his crib with good things. also play with him in his room so he is comfortable there and sees its a good safe place.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Have you tried the No Cry Sleep Solution?
    Also, if it seems to be more of a problem w/ naps, we put a black blanket over his blinds (blackout shades work too, but cost more) It makes his room darker, and he naps much better.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I def would NOT move him back in your room. I feel like you waited too long to move him in his own room. He has been in your room for 10 months and that's all he knows. He is probably scared of his new room and needs to become more comfortable. I would spend a lot of time in his room playing and letting him lay awake in his crib. Possibly bring any items you have on the wall in your room and put them on his walls. HERE'S THE HARD PART... I know others won't agree, but you are probably going to have to let him cry it out. It will only take a few nights/naps I PROMISE and it will make your life so much more pleasant. As for waking up happy ... it'll probably take quite a bit of time for him to wake up and feel comfortable in his new room ...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We used CIO with our son and it did work! We didnt make him cry for hours or anything. We would put him down and leave and if he cried, we'd go in after about 15 mins and tuck him back in. After a few times he got it. Now he knows that crib time is sleep time and for the most part goes down easily. Dont give up. I know its rough but he will acclimate.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• He's still a baby and isn't ready. If you were both happy what was the problem?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• You did NOT make a mistake having him in your room. Sounds like you transitioned him too early. It's actually not recommended to make the change till after the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks all for your reponses. He finally adjusted. I didn't think it would be that big of a transition..we play in his room all the time, diaper changes, clothes changings, we even did the nighttime routine in his room, then I would just walk to my room and put him in the crib, so it didn't seem like he would be uncomfortable. But he's doing great now. I still feel like it was too early, I miss him next to me. Again, thanks for your help everyone :)
    Gradybabysmom

Comment by Gradybabysmom (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010