• In the Spotlight:

mashed taters

I gave my six mo old dd mashed potatoes for the first time tonight. She eagerly ate the first bite and made a few faces but opened her mouth for the second bite. She ate it made a bunch of cute goofy faces then threw up everywhere!!!! Needless to say I didn't try anymore food. Dh thinks it was just too thick but would that make her vomit like that? My mom said she might have a milk allergy. I don't know what it was. She is ff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The milk and butter is probably hard for her to digest but I doubt giving her a taste will harm her. Bake some sweet potatos and mash it with a fork, my DD went nuts over them. You can even mix any kind of potatos with breast milk/formula.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Could be a coincidence, could be the consistency or it could be the milk. Next time you have them, try another taste adn see how it goes, but my little man loves sweet potatoes too.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Was it too hot?
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Does she gag easily? Some babies just gag easily. My friend's dd would do that when she was younger, but outgrew it.
    reava

Answer by reava at 9:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It's most likely that it was too thick. That it just didn't sit in her stomach well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My daughter did this but she was closer to 8 months when we tried it. After that, she didnt want to eat anymore of it for awhile. Now at 15 months, she loves the stuff. She is lactose intolerant but can handle small amounts of dairy so I just make it with her lactose free milk.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My first guess is that it was too thick. She's kind of young for mashed potatoes yet, IMO. I made them extra thin with formula when my babies were around 8-9 months old.

My son couldn't have any potatoes in any form til he was almost 2 - fries, baked, mashed, broasted, steamed sweet, any potatoe period would give him the most horrible stomach ache - starting a couple hours after he ate it he'd either vomit multiple times or scream in absolute agony for 4 hours because his tummy hurt so bad - even if the potatoes were totally plain.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It probubly didnt sit well. Wait a while and try again. If it happens again, then look into it :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Don't worry unless it happens every time you give her the potatoes or milk product. next time thin them out with a little of her formula if you think they are too thick.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2010