Taking your baby on a plane?

I am going to visit my dad and family in another state and we will be flying from Missouri to Washington and I was wondering if it effects their ears like it does us and if so how do you help them out with it since they cant chew gum or anything lol. He is 5 months old if that helps any?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone is different but it CAN affect their ears like adults. I covered my kids ears as good as possible when taking off and landing and he did just fine. Good luck to you!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• well sucking helps too, so a paci or a toy to chew/suck on will help, or feed him at take off and landing. check with doc about trvel meds but I think thats too young. take alot of small but quiet things to keep him busy. and have fun :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It is harder on them and if they are congested at the time use saline drops and a nasal aspirator. My DD was fine on the plane. Save the bottle or breast for take off and landing. Act very happy during take off when the engine noise gets loud. Don't worry about other people getting annoyed over a crying baby, they were once a crying baby too.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I flew with my son from Michigan to South Carolina when he was about 7 months old, and he did fine. I am not sure if his ears even popped at all, and if they did, he was very mellow about it. Maybe you could bring a bottle or a pacifier with you on the plane? I bought one of those carriers that fits across your chest like a front pack, and he snuggled in it on the way there... the only thing that was an unpleasant surprise is that they would not allow me to wear him in it on the way back home. They claimed that it was against their policy.
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 9:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If the baby takes a pacifier deffinately have a few on hand. It does help with their ears. My son didn't take one so I gave him a bottle at take off and landing. The sucking pops the pressure in our ears like yawning and gum chewing. But deffinately have something for them to suck on. And keep in mind, most airlines do not charge for the diaper bag, it is free to carry on. As well as the car seat. And most don't charge for a pac and play or the stroller. They'll check the milk/formula but that's no biggie. If the formula has to be hot, heat it up a lot and I boiled water and put it in another bottle and put it in the insulated bottle carrier we have. But you can also sit it in some hot water from teh stewardess. Good luck.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• we flew with my first son when he was 13 months. i breast fed. he did great! we had 5 plane changes, and stayed overnight in a hotel.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Every baby is different. My oldest was h*ll to fly with until he was 7 and could clearly tell us what was bugging him and how. My younger two were almost a joy.

Ask your pediatrician if you can give him something like tylenol to help discomfort, not to drug him out. If you can, try to have a bottle or boob for him to suck on to help clear his ears. When they are older, I bring lollipops.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Try to time it where you're giving a bottle or breast on the way up and on the way down if possible. If not a bottle, a pacifier, a sippy cup (if you're started one...if you're using the straw ones...they'll be under pressure as you go up so unscrew the lid a little before you flip the straw up otherwise you'll have a fountain) or even baby food will work. Swallowing helps your ears pop. Some other helpful advice..you can check your stroller right at the gate so don't check it when you check your bags. You'll be thankful for it if the flight is delayed and you'll get it as soon as you get off the plane on the other end. I also gave a little Motrin about a half hour before the plane to help with any possible pain issues (plus it is an anti inflammatory and will help keep the ear cannal from swelling). Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Oh...when you get to the gate...ask the person behind the desk if she/he can switch you to the bulkhead seat. (Often they won't let give up the bulkhead until you're at the gate). There is enough floor space there to put baby on the floor for a diaper change or even to sit and play with a toy.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I jsut flew with my son this month. He didnt show any signs of ear pain. I was told to have them suck on takeoff and landing but he just wanted to look out the window.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2010