1 yr old and bottle vs. sippy cup battle

My dd is one years old and takes water in a sippy cup throughout the day. She never takes all of it, but she is comfortable to suck the water out. I went to the dr and he said that she should be taking all her fluids out of the sippy and she should be off the bottle by now. At daycare she ONLY takes the sippy and is fine with it. However, at home with me she refuses to take the milk in the sippy. She flips a lid until I finally give in. She won't take the milk in a sippy, I have tried for 4 days and I cave each time. Suggestions? Please help, is it okay if she stays on the bottle for milk???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DD did until ahe was 19 months old but everyone told me it was bad for her teeth...i finally stopped the bottle but to this day she won't drink her milk in a sippy cup...but she will out of a big girl cup with a straw...try it GL
    kaleigh08

Answer by kaleigh08 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I had another baby when my son was almost 14 months old. The oldest is now 22 months and the baby is 8 months. Needless to say the older still takes a bottle. Mainly at bedtime and nap. During the day if he sees a bottle for the baby and pitches a huge fit he gets like 4 oz of water...not milk. It was not a battle I could fight by myself, hubby was gone for 4 months finishing military training. The pediatrician said you pick your battles and it's not going to harm him. And I feel, it's not like you see 4 year olds walking around with bottles. My bro and I are exactly a year apart and my parents said I was the same and when my bro lost the bottle so did I. So that is what will happen with my babies. It's that sucking that is soothing to them. My neice is my sons age and still throws a fit at bedtime without a bottle. I think of it this way, it's the same as a pacifier and no one gets bent out of shape over them.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Don't cave, you're only making it harder on yourself. IMO I can't stand to see a toddler on a bottle....
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 9:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Stop giving in. If she knows you're going to give in, then she knows that she doesn't have to do it. If you don't give in she'll eventually realize her choice is limited to the sippy cup and she'll give in herself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Son't cave in, stay strong!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Have you tried the sippy cups with the silicone tops ... they almost feel like a bottle ... it worked for my 1 year old.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would just toss all of the bottles so that you can't cave in. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be.
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 10:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We have milk sippys and other drink sippys. Maybe get a different kind of sippy that would just be for milk. That is what we did and it worked great the first time.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Toss the bottles...let her watch you do it (or have her do it). This is mostly for you though...so you can't cave. =) You have to be consistent. Keep her routine exactly the same (if she normally sits down with you in a special chair for bottle time, then continue doing that...just use a sippy instead). She'll refuse for a few days so increase her intake of cheese, yogurt, etc. to make up for the missed dairy servings but she'll eventually decide that she'd rather have the milk in a sippy cup than none at all. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Give it time. We didn't have my son off the bottle until 14 months... during the day we did all sippys with meals... most of the time he didn't hardly drink anything so then at night we would give him a bottle before bed to catch up on his fluid intake. As he started to take more in his sippy we decreased what he could have at night.... it worked well.
    Also, with my son, we found he did better with straws so we got him the straw sippy cups to start with.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010