Why do they ask if you do drugs?

I went to the obgyn yesterday for an annual exam. They ask if I take any drugs (illegal drugs) and I was wondering if those on illegal narcotics actually admit they take them? Do they just answer, "Oh yeah, in fact I just smoked some crack right before I came."

azpreemiemom

Asked by azpreemiemom at 10:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Health

• i think it's the whole legality of it all. if they don't ask, and they give meds that counteract and hurt the patient, they can get sued. as long as they ask, they're in the clear even IF the person lies.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I guess they probably wouldn't tell if they did. But I don't think doctors would turn you in anyway, they probably try to help you get off them.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• We actually asked for my pre registrations for my babys deliver! She asked if I took illegal drugs, so we asked "does anyone ever actually answer yes to that question" and she said. She said she can't legally tell anyone..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• They have to ask. Because if they don't and you have a reaction to a medication or BC that they give you because you were on something else, and they didn't ask, it's mal-practice. But they can't do anything besides say "You know you shouldn't do that" because they are bound by Dr/Patient confidentiality anyways. So why not admit it... Although I know most wouldn't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It would make a difference in your overall health such as blood pressure or depression. The also need to know for medical contraindictions with prescriptions. They are not asking you to turn you in.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I don't know what they say. I know their course of treatment will be different if you do drugs than if you don't but I have no idea how many admit it.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• omg i just asked the nurse @ the local HD this...when she asked me if i did drugs i was like no, and i asked her if ppl actually admit they do and she said some say yes....and some that dont do it say yes...(its a small town)
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I wondered the same thing. I'm sure there are people out there who lie, but I'm sure others are honest too. I'm sure they can tell regardless of your answer. I doubt your doctor won't know if you are a full blown crack head or meth addict.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It would be part of your medical history and would be necessary to know when dealing with pregnancy complications. And babies of Moms who take drugs will have some serious complications that need to be treated right away as soon as they are born. So---it would appear that they really need to know the truth in order to take the best care of the Mom and her baby. EVen if the Mom lied and didn't admit to taking drugs....they would know.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2010