How is making your own homemade cleaners cheaper?

Everyone talks about how much cheaper it is to make your own cleaners, but I added up how much it would cost me to buy all the supplies needed and I would be spending the same amount if I had bought the already made kind! Someone please explain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you're doing it correctly, your supplies will make more than one bottle/bar of whatever you're doing. For example if you're doing the borax/homemade laundry detergent method, the supplies you buy make a 5 gallon bucket of detergent and washes over 500 loads. That's the equivalent of 5 of the giant bottles of Tide for less than the cost of one. You have to think in terms of unit price - how much you're paying per ounce. And for the other stuff, using diluted vinegar, that's a dollar or less a bottle, so it's always going to work out cheaper.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i buy a huge thing of baking soda at costco, and huge bottles of vinegar too. my daughter and i just started washing our hair with baking soda too. soon we will do a vinegar rinse as well.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• The initial supplies are more expensive or about the same but they'll make 10xs the product. Plus it's kind of fun and you know what's going in your cleaners.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Exactly as PP's said. An all purpose cleaner of water and vinegar is very much cleaner. The supplies needed to make laundry detergent will cost you about $10 but you will be able to make at least 5, 5 gallon batches with it......making it a LOT cheaper. Plus the homemade detergent makes your clothes actualy smell clean, not like chemical fragrances.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not if you are cleaning with basic items like baking soda, vinegar and water or bleach. It is tons cheaper.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• How is this the same cost as store bought?

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 11:17 AM on Jun. 25, 2010