HIV testing

I have been sick lately and the symptoms have the doctors testing me for autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Previously doctors thought I might have MS but an MRI showed no lesions. My symptoms are sore joints, inflammation, muscle weakness, fatigue, stiffness to the point I cannot use my leg. My PCP who I have only met 1x went over my labs and told me everything looks great although my inflammation was high but not remarkable. He said my white blood cell count was very high so he ordered an HIV test. I'm a little upset because a high white cell count can mean a lot of things, even RA or cancer but he didn't test me for anything else. Although it shook me up and I was a tested a year ago and had a negative result, I went and had more blood drawn for the test. It really shook me up. That's a scary thing to just toss around!

Does it make sense to test me for that or jump to that conclusion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Health

• I think an HIV test is always scarey, even when you are sure that the results are negative... Just try to be positive and know that it is only routine to rule everything. Elevated WBC can be caused by a lot of differneny things. Try not to borrow worry.
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 10:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Doctors have to test you for everything you could possibly show symptoms for. They do that to cover their own butts because if a year from now it turns out you do have HIV and your doctor never tested you for it, he's likely got a lawsuit coming his way. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had bad headaches once and my doctor ordered a catscan. He had to rule out everything.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I think that's probably just the fastest easiest thing to rule out first. I don't know how they check for those other things but it might be easier to draw a little blood and rule out hiv than have you go through tons of testing all at once. I know it's scary that's a scary thing to go in for a test for especially when your dr. suspects it might be positive.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It does make sense for the doctor to test you for that, because like the poster before me said, they want to cover their own butts, so they dont get a lawsuit and their license to practice medicine taken away. I dont blame you for being a little shook up, it is an unnerving thought for anyone to think of. I wish you the best of luck!
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2010