How old should kids be when they are allowed to have a myspace/facebook account?

My niece and nephew are 9 and 11 and they don't have internet access at home but they come over to my house a lot (at least 3-4 times a week) and they want to get a facebook and myspace page because all their friends from school have one. I was thinking about it(their parents said it was up to me they didn't care either way) What do you think? Should I let them? Should I look at what they do on there? Or not? Any input would be appreciated.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You're supposed to be going into your freshman year of high school, or 14, to have a facebook. So, my kids will be allowed to sign up when they're 14 if they desire.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would say 13. Isn't that the age you have to be to sign up without lying? I would not sign them up..that would be at their parents discretion not yours.
    AmandaMichele

Answer by AmandaMichele at 10:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would never let my kids have an account until they were freshmen in high school. Anything else before then is pointless and asking for trouble.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I THINK 15/16 IS A GOOD AGE. BEFORE THAT IS JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• According to facebook and myspace you need to be 13 to have an account. I personally have an 11 year old son who there is no way I will be letting him have a facebook page anytime soon but it's because he still can't grasp the concept of there are bad people out there. I do not think there is a specific age when it's okay but a maturity level.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• i think 13 is the age you CAN have a account with them, so maybe 13...i personally think it should be 18 with all the crap that floats around thoes sites. DEFINATLY monitor what they are doing on there!!!!!
    starreyedcutie

Answer by starreyedcutie at 11:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• There's an age limit for both Myspace and Facebook. You have to be 14 years of age for Facebook and I believe you have to be 18 for Myspace. Unless they've changed it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My 7 year old has a FB page. I check it daily to make sure no sickos are trying to add her and she uses it to play the games and to stay in touch with all of her out of state relatives. She loves it and ONLY has family and a few close family friends on there. Her profile is set to private also.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:28 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The website's rules and the parent's rules may differ. I feel as long as you monitor it with them, then there shouldn't be any harm. Many kids can keep up with friends there, esp if they've moved away and they can keep in touch that way.

The website itself doesn't care about your kids as much as they care about their own legal liability. FB is set at 13, MySpace at 14(i think), althought they don't check it unless someone reports it to them. Which still isn't a big deal since you can make another.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:38 AM on Sep. 8, 2010