• In the Spotlight:

what not to feed

what are you not supposed to feed a 1 year old? he only has 4 teeth right now but so far he is pretty good at eating most food with only having limited teeth.

mandie_jean

Asked by mandie_jean at 11:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For us, we fed our chlld a little bit of everything at nthe age of one. I don't think there was anything he didnt eat. ^.^
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My one yr old eats everything we eat, and he has no teeth. If you are going to try peanut butter watch your child very carefully for signs of allergic reaction and choking.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 11:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Well, they say you shouldn't feed them eggs until the age of 2 and nuts until the age of 3 due to food allergy issues. With my first 2 I was of the opinion that if I let them eat those things, their bodies would adjust to them (just my opinion - I'm not doctor!). They ate eggs, light amount of peanut butter (could be a choking hazard if too thick, so just be careful with the amount), and things like that. BUT with my youngest it is different. He has a milk allergy and his allergist suggested staying away from the eggs and nuts for at least that long. Since he already has a food allergy, he is at risk of his body developing an allergy to other "high risk" allergens (i.e. eggs and nuts). So I guess it depends on how you feel about the whole food allergy thing. It is a whole new world for me and I am praying that by keeping him away from them now he'll outgrow the allergy as he gets older.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• hmmm my boys ate everything we ate really, just make sure everything is cut up small enough or soft enough so he doesnt choke.
    starreyedcutie

Answer by starreyedcutie at 11:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• Just stay away from things that are hard to chew, really sticky, and possibly common allergies, depending on his risk factors.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 12:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Nuts, popcorn, whole grapes, etc. - things that are choking hazards. The AAP has recently released a statement that there is no longer any reason to hold of on the so called "allergenic" foods - that waiting to introduce them does not reduce the incidence of allergy.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No chocolate, no honey, no nuts,

Answer by rkoloms at 9:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Once they are 1yr. old you can give them pretty much anything that you would eat, only cut-up. Some things that you should avoid are just the major choking hazards (until age 4) such as hard candy, popcorn, hotdogs (unless cut in half the long way), grapes (unless cut into quarters), raw hard veggies, and nuts.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2010