how to calm a very fussy six month old baby?

So my baby boy loves being with mommy at all times never wants to give me a break. And if he don't get his way he cries his lungs out. Well I don't mind he's my baby boy, but what's a good way to sooth him? He wants 100 percent of my attention and if he don't get it oh man. He loves it when I go outside with him and he loves the water. But any other tips. My dh tell me to let him cio and everyone thinks he's spoiled. But I can't do cry it out. I always give in the first second. What to do. Ps. The pediatic says its his personality.

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 11:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What about having someone else stay with him, like his dad, you leave for 10 minutes then come back
    do that a few times a day
    then maybe stay gone a full hour

try to distract him, when my son was 6 months he was really into picking up things with his index and thumb, so maybe so small pieces of bread, or like we do, the yogurt melts by gerber....this kept him busy
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• If he's young enough, I'd say look into getting him a sling. I didn't trust them at first, but a fellow CMer made me one and it was cute and I was able to do dishes, etc while soothing my DS at the same time! I ended up getting comfortable enough with it to take him outside of the house, I felt very efficient and got tons done.

If he's too big for a sling, one thing I do when I need to, say, cook dinner, is put him in his high chair with a crayon and piece of paper and let him color while he watches me...and I talk to him as I go so he's engaged.
    Good luck!
    Stormywaters03

Answer by Stormywaters03 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• It is natural for babies to want their mommies. If it isn't something like gas or colic I'd say you'll have to either hold him or let him CIO(which I personally don't do, but it is up to you) This too will pass, and when he starts walking and doesn't want held you'll want to hold him. I promise this time will be over before you know it and you will miss it so much, so tough it out and enjoy it while you can. Good Luck Momma.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• My little guy is the same way! His twin sister thankfully is more independant. It can get rough at times but they grow so fast, I try to remind myself that there will be a time when he will be too busy for mommy. And, I will miss the clingy little boy.

If mommy is the main caregiver babies get use to that and it is scary for them when mommy can not be there. We are working on letting the babies learn that they can have the same trust in daddy.......it is going to take sometime and some tears.

marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 11:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• He's normal. Ge a sling, wrap, or mei tai. That way he gets you and you get to be hands free. I wear my baby on my back all the time. She thinks leaf raking is hilarious, and falls asleep when i sweep the floor.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I would get a carrier of some kind, probably a wrap or a mei tai at this point. Wearing him will give him the security and snuggles he wants (and needs), but still enable you to get things done. I wore all three of my babies, and they are secure, independent children, unlike most of my local friends children.
    MommyLady

Answer by MommyLady at 1:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You can try setting him down next to you and then work it up to where you can do things in that room while he can still see you. Start leaving him with daddy while you run errands to, he'll eventually realise that mommy will come back.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 6:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010