Tips on how to potty train my boy.

I am trying to potty train my son and I need some tips.

kmarie08

Asked by kmarie08 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i got my son potty trained in ONE day seriously!!! What worked for us was we got him big boy undies (skipped the pull ups) and put them on him. We posted a sticker chart on the bathroom wall. ALL that day all we did was run back and forth to see if he had to use the potty. When he did we made a HUGE deal about it. Like seriously jumping up and down and dancing, then he got to flush the potty and put his big boy sticker up (i sticker for when he peed and 2 for poop lol) and then he would pick a piece of candy from the candy jar. From that day on he has been potty trained. We did the stickers and candy for about a week and that was about 7 months ago...he did GREAT!
    starreyedcutie

Answer by starreyedcutie at 11:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• my mil used cheerios in the potty to train my husband when he was a little one. She had him "shoot" at them. lol.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• I need a refresher myself...it has been 8 years since I potty trained a boy and it is nearing that time again!!

I kept a potty chair in the bathroom with a basket of books. I took him every 1/2 hour at first, but he hardly ever went, so I tried every hour. He takes after me and doesn't pee that often :) When he would pee I'd make a big deal and give him a sticker. He actually picked up on this pretty quickly (can't remember how long) and did very well. He potty trained sitting down, but it didn't take him long to want to "pee like daddy" and stand up. He had good aim (it actually has gotten worse as he gets older! lol), but some moms use Cheerios as little targets :) As far as pooing...that took a little longer. He refused to go in the potty. He'd go hide in the corner! One day (after several months of trying) I took his undies off and when he had to poo he came running to me with his hand on his butt because he realized...
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• he didn't have undies or a diaper on. That was it....that one time of being naked!! I was a bit worried that he would poo on the floor, but he didn't!! I can only hope my youngest son is that easy!! G/L :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• MINES IS STILL NOT LEARNED DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO
    vania_jmz

Answer by vania_jmz at 12:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I just take my son to the bathroom whenever I go.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 7:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my son is in underwear all day, he wears only a shirt when we are outside in our yard (for some reason he feels more accomplished when he goes outside. he never applauds himself when on the potty lately lol). For now, he wears training pants for outings and bedtime/naptime. He's going through a regression phase right now. He isnt telling us when he has to go and just goes on the floor. It freakin sucks, but I heard it is common and you just have to remain consistant. I take my son to the potty upon waking, after meals/drinks, before and after his nap, before outings and while we are out, before bedtime and any time in between when he shows cues, has an accident or tells us. dont scold for accidents. they will happen and are part of the learning process!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My girls learned at 20 months. We would take trips into the bathroom every 20 minutes or so. I would read a book or just say push PP out and or Poo out and so on. If nothing happen tht trip the next trip we would start all over again and snap there it was and here came the happy dance and showed them wht they did. So on and so on... Good luck P.S I didn't use pull ups...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 6:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010