Carpet cleaning smelly carpets?

We had a dog who was having issues controlling her bowels and urine. Since she died we've carpet cleaned at least every 3 months since then(a year and a half ago) and the carpet still smells after awhile. I was thinking of satuating the carpet with laundry detergent and letting it sit and then carpet clean. Our landlord won't change the carpet until we move and we spend 100 of dollars a year professionally carpet cleaning and then using our own through out the year. I don't know what to do! My daughter smells like the carpet when she plays on the floor no matter what we do. Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You may want to have the landlord check the carpet and padding for mold. Mold has a very strong smell, and it can make you very sick depending on what type it is and if anyone has a strong mold allergy. We had mold in our carpet in our old house, and it smelled like dirty socks and kind of musty too. I thought it was just from my boys having stinky feet, so I cleaned and cleaned the carpet, but it always came back after a few days. Turns out they had to come out and replace all my downstairs carpet because there were a few spots of mold and the spores can be all throughout the carpeting. Good luck, I'd definitely look into that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• AprilDJC is correct. Also, if your dog was going repeatedly on the carpet, the urine is probably in the backing and the padding underneath, in which case there's really not much you can do. Your landlord will probably just have to replace the carpet when you move out. Urine does an enormous amount of damage to the carpeting.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2010