If you are not married would you give your baby the father's last name?

I want to give my daughter her father's last name, but some people in my family think it's not such a good idea.. I dont want her to have two last names either, that's just too complicated, and I have my father's last name so I think it would be best for her to have her father's.. Also the father let me pick out the first name and only wanted his last name in return. What do you think?
... thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I had my 1st child at the age of 18, my husband and I were not married yet but I knew that my daughter deserved to have her fathers last name. Everyone in my family was telling me it was a stupid idea, and not to do it. But it has been 4 years now, and we are married. I say do what's feels comfortable with you.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• no
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes. I was not married when I had both of mine and with the second we were not even talking at the time of birth. They both have his last name. I personally think kids deserve their dads last name...as long as you know it and it would not cause them embarrassment later.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• if i was not married no i would not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i gave my son his fathers lastname and we are not married.even if we split that will always be his son and i want my son to know where he comes from and that he was made in love....besides marraige doesnt change anything about a relationship. if hes a deadbeat then thats another story but why should he be deprived the right to carry on his name if hes a good father?
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have 3 kids and have never been married. My girls have the same dad and they do have his last name and my son has both of our last names. It all depends on if the babies father is going to be in its life or not. If so maybe you should give the baby both of your last names.
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I gave both of my daughters my now husband's ( we were not married when either of them were born) last name with no doubt what so ever. He was there for me and our children and we had discussed the fact that it didn't really matter either way, together or not, he would be there for them and always be their father. Just because you are married to a man, doesn't mean that he won't leave you and your child one day, so i really don't see why that should matter. the only thing i would be wondering is why your family doesn't think it's a very good idea. there's nothing wrong with getting their opinion bc in the end it is your choice. GL :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 12:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I was not married and i gave my son his last name. Are you guys together? If so i would do it. I think its only fair.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• yes I would.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 2:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It depends on your situation. One night stand, no. Long term relationship, yes. If he's a deadbeat, no. Good upstanding guy, yes. Ultimately it's up to you.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2010