What to do to get rid of fleas in the house?

My cat has a MINOR flea problem (he had 4 fleas on him) but the vet said i may need to treat my house. Anyone got any recommendations for a safe treatment? I have kids who have skin conditions, so I don't use anything strong around them. I have not looked into what is available just for treating the carpets, but I don't want anything too toxic to humans. Suggestions?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pets

• I went through this pretty recently with my cat. She also had a mild flea problem. I started by vacuuming every square foot of my bedroom, bathing her in flea shampoo, and then putting her into a pet cage in the bedroom so I could then do the rest of the house. I vacuumed EVERYTHING. I moved all the furniture around so a spot wouldn't go untouched. Then I dosed her with Frontline. That stuff is amazing. I had a vet tech friend tell me it essentially turns the cat into a walking flea bomb, killing any eggs or fleas that get on her. There's been no fleas since.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• honestly the best thing is to treat your cat and then get everyone out of the house for a few hours and set off a flea bomb
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• really I dont know other than bombing the house with a flea bomb. you may want to use some online research engines to find some human friendly treatments. you will def have to treat your carpets, and do it soon because just a few fleas can turn into a massive issue fast.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I always used sprays & powders & i would re-do it every few days for a few weeks. They'll lay eggs, then those eggs would hatch & possibly re-infest. If you keep up with the powders & sprays, it will really help along with the frontline.

You HAVE to use the powder when vaccuming because they can live in your vaccume & get out. The powder kills them, so when you suck them up, they'll die or they are already dead.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've also been told that because cat fleas don't really live off the blood of humans that if we just treat the cats with frontline, eventually all the fleas that hatch in the house will be killed because to grow to adult they have to feed and that it will in time eliminate the problem. I've got an awesome vacuum, so I'm already going to vacuum the entire house including the couches and mattresses, since the cats get on the beds sometime. I won't do a flea bomb, they're too much for my kids skin, but I would treat the carpet itself with something if there is something that is not too toxic, like something all natural. I'm already washing all the sheets and blankets in hot water with vinegar to kill anything there, but just curious if there is anything else to be done?
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've heard eucalyptus can repel them, so that would be something to look into. I just use drops on my dog and bomb the house though. It works great, but I don't have carpets.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I just posted a question about my own flea problem. I am at my wits end! sigh.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• that is not true about fleas living off humans. when i lived at my moms we had 2 cats and a dog that all got fleas. we treated the animals and they were flea free but the fleas started living off of us. they're fast and tiny little bastards that are damn hard to find/see. i'd be lying on the couch and they would jump on me, at which point i would scream and run into the shower. i'd wake up with flea bites all over me. flea bomb was our only choice
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010