condoms in elementary????

so the school committee in this province town has adopted this policy where any age child in that district can go to the school nurse and ask for condoms. now they will be talked to about what a condom is, what it is used for, how to use it, and that it is not 100%. the only thing is that parents cannot request that their child not be given condoms and if a child is given condoms then the parents r NOT notified. it is obvious that there r mistakes in the policy, but what do u think those mistakes r?
here is link to the article that i read. please read it first then come back and comment.
http://www.wickedlocal.com/provincetown/news/x1417293505/School-leaders-OK-condom-policy-in-Provincetown

teddybear2272

Asked by teddybear2272 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

• i think the mistakes are with the school. wth? they need to be passing out balloons, not condoms.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I know it seems young for the kids to have access to condoms but just trust that your kids are not using them even if they do have them...I think it is good for the ones who do need them but otherwise would not have access to them...and trust me there are those kids out there
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• it's sick that it's come to this but kids are having sex that young which is heartbreaking but it's better for the schools to pass out condoms than for children to get pregnant
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well, they have sex ed in 4th and 5th grade, they are probably playing dr. and I say, better safe than sorry. I think the parents should be notified, but I dont think the parents should be able to say no to their kids getting them. A lot of the girls are starting their periods in 5th grade. I dont love the idea as a whole, I think it would me much more appropriate for middle and high school students.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Trends like this make me want to homeschool. I'm glad that this is not (yet) to our district.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2010