On average, how much are martial arts or self defense classes in your area?

I would like to sign myself and my boys up for some martial arts or self defense classes and am trying to get a round about idea of if we'll be able to afford it.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:53 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My son's kung fu school was $150/mo. Plus new uniforms as he grew, sashes, equipment, tournament fees...it's not cheap. There are some schools in this area that are much less expensive but we didn't care for the programs.

Before you worry about the cost, though...make sure you find a school that's a good fit. A good school will let you observe classes and give you a sample lesson.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• In my area, it is around $80-$100 a month. However, most give family discounts and some even give some serious discounts to the parents if more than one child is enrolled. For example, during Mother's Day week, one local Tae Kwon Do school was letting moms sign up for only $25 a month. I would call around in your area, set up some tours and when it comes to signing up and it does not fit in your budget, just tell them. Most of the time, they will reduce their prices.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• In the area I live in we used to pay about 70 a week for our son to go to 3-1 hour practices. We also had to pay everytime he got a new belt...
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Sorry mine was a month too!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:05 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my son takes a karate class. It meets once a week, at a cost of $7 per class. There is another school in town, but I don't know the cost for that, and the YMCA has a class in this once in a while. The main cost in karate is the gear, and the uniform. Thankfully, I found what I needed for him on Ebay for a really good price!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010