SB 1070 law what do you think?

The Obama administration is considering suing Arizona to block implementation of its harsh new immigration enforcement measure, SB 1070. The Justice Department doesn’t have much time — barring a judicial stay, the law goes into effect July 29 — Let me know what you think? (no judging all answers will be respected)

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 12:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I listened to a sheriff from a border town in AZ speak this morning. The fence splits his town in half. His department seized 400 lbs. of pot recently and uncovered a tunnel the trafficers used. The Mexican drug cartel has warned the sheriff to not stop any drugs coming across or they would be killed. Now his deputies have to carry side arms on and off the job. Now, PBO, tell me why AZ doesn't have the right to enforce the immigration laws of the US and their state? The sheriff stated he has written Homeland Security with no response.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/22/mexican-cartel-threatens-target-officers-arizona-border-town/
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The STATE of AZ has the right to make their laws. The fed gov should stay out of it. If the people of that state approve it then there isn't a problem. "A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in Arizona finds that 71% now favor the immigration law, while 24% oppose it."
    Here is the kicker! "Only EIGHT percent (8%) say they want to move out of Arizona because of the new immigration law."

See that is the greatness of it. AZ can make their laws, and if you don't like them move!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I fully support Arizona, because I fully support the enforcement of federal laws that are ALREADY on the books, but since the feds are not enforcing them, as they should, the states are having to do it themselves!

And Arizona is not the only state doing this!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:58 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I support state's rights. Seeing as how this law is just like the federal law, I have to wonder why they are trying to fight the state law instead of the federal one. As mentioned above, other states also have laws similar to this one, why are no suits being brought against those states?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think it is great! Good for AZ!

I think it is a colossal waste of time, energy, and money for the Fed Gov't to sue and what's more, MEXICO is going to sue as well!!! THAT is a ROTFLMAO moment if there ever was one!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:10 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Explain to me exactly how they are going to know who to stop and check without racial profiling. Srsly. I want to know.

Just like it spells it out in their bill.  Read it and it won't be so confusing to you anymore. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It's STOOPID!
    Princess223

Answer by Princess223 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• "It's not just the illegal immigrants that are going to be stopped and harassed for their "papers". "

The law does not allow them to stop random people on the street. If they are stopped for speeding or arrested for robbery, the cops can ask. The cops ask for identification in these cases anyway. The states that already have similiar laws do not have a problem with profiling, the federal law says the same thing and no one will accuse the Feds of profiling.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I live in AZ and fully support the law. Did you know that 50% of the murders in Phoenix are committed by illegal immigrants. Why should we sit around and allow this to continue?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Living in Arizona, i Fully support the law.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2010