Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How can I get my child out of a dangerous situation during her fathers weekend visitations?

I have a 5 year old daughter who has came to me numerous times and told me about watching her father and his gf fist fight in front of her. Naturally I stopped allowing her to go up there but he took me to court and our stupid judge deemed that because he pays child support, he must b a good father and upped his visits to every other weekend.He has been on ssi and social security because of his mental state but i had no proof in court of any of this, The only thing I had was proof of an epo where he threatened to kill me and idnap our child. the judge said since he didnt claim to harm her, he couldnt extend it to her. So needless to say, i lost in court. i recently found out that his own mom has a restraining order against him where he threatened to kill her and his gf has had him arrested for beating on her.he also has a licence to CCW (scary) He lives in Oh and I live in KY. How would I go about getting this info for court

Answer Question

Asked by caralovesbenny4 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Not much you can do. Just write down everything your child says. And any changes in behavior.
    Also, write down all the contact you have with him.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 1:01 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • I would call the child abuse hot line in your area and discuss it with them, or get legal aid involved and explain that the situation is dangerous and needs assessment of value to her life. Another thing I would do immediately is teacher her 911.

    Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:02 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • Take it back to COURT with the NEW INFORMATION U have IF possible.

    Answer by Princess223 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • I tried that it court but they said that because she is so young, she isnt a credible witness which is such bull. I wrote down everything she would tell me and they just said it was all a lie in court. Our judge is a very partial judge and it isnt fair. Would Child protection be able to help?

    Comment by caralovesbenny4 (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • I like the idea of having the DD know 911. Next time she sees them fighting tell her to call 911. Afterwards be sure she knows your number, so you can come and retrieve her after the cops have dealt with the situation. Because it's a child calling about fighting, the cops will have to talk to her. In which case she can report them fighting. Not only would it then be on record that it could be a danger to her, but the courts will see even SHE is afraid of the situation she is in and knows it is dangerous.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:07 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • be sure it's not just verbal fighting, but actual physical fighting. Yes they can deny it, but the cops will typically take the word of the child over a couple of bruised up adults.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:08 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • i work at a local pd an see these kinds of things everyday. with our dept it's not always necesary to make a report, but to keep a paper trail we allow people to make "text reports". it doesn't get a report number, but it gives all the info necesary for you to have on hand if necesary in court. the date/time... who you spoke with and what was occurring. they're usually used for when parents are late for a visitiation or to pick up a child. put i dont see why something similar wouldnt be able to be used in this situation.

    talk to your attorney if necesary, if your dont have an attorney call your local court and if they're no help over the phone (they are sometimes busy and dont want to have to deal with people who just want advise) then go down there in person, then they have no choice but to attempt to help you out.

    hope things work out for the best.

    Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • Its not only verbal but violent fighting like throwing things, punching and knocking holes in the wall. I taught her to dial 911 but the last incident, his gf threw the phone at him and it broke so she couldnt call. I have considered sending a cell but he is an a** and would just bust it. He was diagnosed with severe bipolar and other disorders and somehow recently he managed to get a lisence to carry a concealed wepon which is why i am trying to get this evidence on him but i dont kno how to get the information I need. the SS office wouldnt even give me proof of his disorders when we went to court so i didnt even have that.

    Comment by caralovesbenny4 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • Can she go to a neighbors house and call the police?

    If not, and you can't get any proof.. try asking to drop the child support in exchange for full custody with NO visitation rights for the father. (in otherwords you want him to drop all rights)

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • Aside from hiding a phone that he may find and destroy, I'm not really sure how else to go about it. You can petition the court for supervised visitation rights because of the violence in the home, and/or hire someone to watch the situation and report if there is fighting.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.