When to nix the naps?

My DD is 3 and she's naps every now and then. I was wondering should I stop offering her naps?

Mom2princessq

Asked by Mom2princessq at 1:14 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it depends on the child and what time they get up/go to bed. I don't make my kids sleep, but I do make them have rest time. If they are tired, they will fall asleep. If not, they get some good looking/reading books time. I don't worry about missing nap/quiet time if we have an all day event planned though.
    luvmyguyandgirl

Answer by luvmyguyandgirl at 11:22 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• depends on how long she sleeps at night. At 3 years old she should still be getting about 12 hours of sleep.

My boys are 5 and 4. They get 10 hours of sleep a night (give or take) and still take a nap for about 1-1.5 hours
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• the day after never lol. naptime is the best time of the day LOL. no but really, my ds is almost 3 1/2 and i don't make him take naps, as long as he has a rest time, he's good to go. if he falls asleep, that's fine, no big deal. now, if i know we're going to be out late for some reason, i make him take a nap, because by 8pm with no nap he's a crabby butt.
    btw, both my kids sleep through the night, about 8-8. dd is almost 2, she is still taking long 3-4hr naps.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think you should stop until she is ready to give them up. Granddaughter started kindergarten last year and was still napping. The first couple of weeks she always fell asleep in class, as did several other kids.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think you should stop. I think she'll stop when she's ready to. I think it's great that she still takes naps every once in a while. My son will be three next month, and his nap schedule is ou the window.

Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:44 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• With all 4 of my children, when they reached 18 months, they would awake from naptime so ill tempered, it made my life hell for at least an hour or two, so started letting them skip it and put to bed a bit earlier and it worked perfectly. No tantrums, and they were practially falling asleep eating supper. A good bath after supper and they were ready to turn in without much coaking from me. My kids were far far from perfect, but bedtime was never an issue at my house. No fighting to stay up. They were really tired. .
    lisa299

Answer by lisa299 at 6:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If she is still taking them, I would keep offering them. When my oldest stopped napping, we switched to quiet time. We allowed her to watch a movie or read some books for a certain period of time just so she still had a break during the day. We still do this. About half of the time, both of the kids will fall asleep. I don't let them sleep as long as they did when they were younger, but I figure if they are falling asleep, they need the nap.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• you should know when it's time my first was 4 and my second was 6 every kid is different
    USPS-I-DELIVER

Answer by USPS-I-DELIVER at 10:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My daughter is only 15 months so I will answer from when I was growing up. I remember my mom putting us down for a nap until kindergarten. She would make us take a nap (there were 5 of us) and she would fall asleep on the couch watching Days of Our Lives. We would sneak out of our rooms and watch the soap opera from the staircase and when my mom would move we would race back to our rooms and climb in bed as fast as we could. lol
    Cheryl4424

Answer by Cheryl4424 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• our 4yr old son doesn't have a set nap time during the day, so we don't force him to nap. But if he gets tired and falls asleep on the couch than we just leave him. Part of this is because he shares a room right now with his 19mo sister and just plays instead of sleeps. And part of it is because even when we had his sister in our room he still wouldn't sleep. So we just figured we'll go with how he feels each day. Now, if he's being a brat and clearly needs rest, than we will set him up in our big kiing sized bed with a movie and it almost always puts him to sleep.
    gingerwife

Answer by gingerwife at 11:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2010