Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Tax question

Last year my former employer had over-stated my taxable income for the year 2008 in W2. They emailed me a W2C recently. I'm wondering if I should submit to IRS? I searched the internet but couldn't get any helpful information.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • This happened to my husband and I a few years ago. Did you do the taxes yourselves or did you go to someone? If you did it yourselves then I would call the IRS and let them know. If you had someone do your taxes then you could either take it to them and seek advice/help or call the IRS yourselves. It took a few weeks to straighten everything out, but everyone was very helpful.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 2:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • Just keep in mind that any form you get like that is reported by the employer to the IRS. So whether you fix it or not it's a good possibility that you will be getting something from the IRS about it in the future.

    Answer by hgraham4707 at 4:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • If you receive a corrected W2 you need to file an amended tax return for 2008.

    If you have any other questions, call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

  • Yes, it has to be amended. If it is for last year, it would be an amended return for 2009. You will have to for federal AND for your state. You can do it on Turbo Tax for very cheap. And if you are due an additional refund, the IRS will cut you a check. I had to amend our 2009 return & got an additional $112 back last week!

    Answer by RutterMama at 10:29 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.