Do you think it's right to pay drug addicts and alcoholics to be sterilized or use long term birth control?

I myself do not agree with this at all....for many reasons. Assuming the person has their own choice in this. Why give then money to not have kids just to fund their drug habit????

I posted this because I saw this question in PARENTING (Early years magazine July 2010 pg.16. Supposedly they did an online poll and here is the results: 61 % said YES and 39 % said no.I am not so sure about this so i thought I would bring it here to CM.How do you really feel about this ?.I thought the numbers were pretty high????

lendales_mommi

Asked by lendales_mommi at 2:25 AM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• To each her own opinion, but no, I can't agree with it. I think about my life, and Dh's and other friends we know. People with alcoholic/drug addicted parent(s). Although we had hard times and rough roads, I am more than thankful for ALL of it. It taught me the ins and outs. The do's and don'ts. Not everyone can say that, I know. But to sterilize them is just wrong IMO.

Long term birth control YES....Sterilization NO. What happens when those people get their lives together and want a child(ren) of their own?
    Just my opinion.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would agree just because I would not want an innocent life brought into their mess. They can do what they want but don't want to let a baby (or child) go down the wrong path with them.
    Dianebrooke

Answer by Dianebrooke at 2:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• YES, 100% YES!!! Have you put any thought behind your decision? Drug addicts do not have the best reasoning skills, therefore are less likely to use birth control and therefore add to the large numbers of homeless children already in the system which we are all helping to raise with our tax dollars. Much the same principal as with animals (dogs and cats specifically), we also pay for the idiots who think they can make a quick dollar by breeding a male and female dog and putting an add in the paper. Really?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't believe a drug addict is able to provide for a child. I also wouldn't want to see a child go through that life. I agree with this 100%
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Whee! Eugenics lives. Over 150 years and the debate keeps going. I think long term BC should be encouraged, and if possible provided by charitable organizations. (NOT the govt., govenment's got a nasty history with forced sterilization) But I cannot support trying to manipulate people, even financially.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 4:37 AM on Jun. 25, 2010

• BC yes, but sterilization no... like PP said.... what if they get clean and want kids...
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:31 AM on Jun. 25, 2010